Currency

Reaction score
City, State
Bedford Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4
I've got major issues.

1994 Explorer, 4x4 auto trans.

I drive maybe 1,000 miles a month, more or less. So 90 day oil changes. Last one was back at the end of Nov.

I've used 2 qt's of oil since than, have driven no more than 2,600 miles. I have a noticeable sounds like a fan belt squeak coming from my flywheel. I didn't think much about it for awhile until oil started to disappear.

The oil is dripping from between the engine and trans through the seal. Flywheel squeaks rather loudly at times, even going 60 up the highway.

I believe it to be one of the rear freeze plugs. I cannot find any information here or elsewhere about the how to replace these, how much they cost, or how long it will take.

Can you guys help a fellow out?

Also, on a side note. Plates are good till June, Insurance till September. I also have less than $100 to my name.

I have no way of tearing into this anytime soon, to cold to do it outside, and pulling the engine or dropping the trans is in no way a one man quick fix. :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

from the sound of it id say rear main seal. just make sure its not coming from higher up, ie rear of the valve covers and runing down the bell housing

Did you accidentally switch to synthetic? My Explorer leaks from the rear main seal a drop of oil a night after my father's ill-advised ideas to switch the exploder to synthetic. It will stop, if minor, as the oil gets older and thicker, when you change oil, just get a thicker oil.

I was told the rear main seal leaked "a little" whenever I got it in September. I check the fluids weekly and about three weeks ago after just checking it two days before the "check oil" light came on.

It was about a qt low. I put some cheap oil in it and forgot about it until a week later it was another qt low. It was fine when I checked it a few days ago.

I normally use conventional valvoline 10w30 with a high mileage filter. I don't want to go to heavy on the oil because my main bearing will start knocking under load. I planned to purchasing another engine than having it rebuilt, now times are tougher.

The DWD told me yesterday I can no longer draw unemployment :(

I tried to look today. The area where the motor and trans bolt together has oil all around it. Appears to have some oil in the area between them, looked through the small hole near the starter. Appears to have splashed around and may have been there for sometime.

I called advanced auto today and priced,

rear main seal $10.99 (close but not exact)
Transmission combo kit $14.99 (tranny pan gasket and filter)
The gasket by itself is $4.99

I figure it would be best for me to drop the transmission, transfer case, and the cross member than to pull the engine.

I also priced a detailed chilton manual for $24.99 from advanced, the haynes manual does not detail the process and I figure that it would be best to just buy the manual which may help me in the future. They had to order it, will be here Tuesday or Thursday.

So I thought I would hurt my transmission and drain it and change the filter while I have it out or while I am pulling it out, well dropping it out. But not dropping it, oh forget it :p:

Truck is sitting at 188,2xx miles right now, give or take.
To my knowledge the transmission has not been flushed or drained in a long, long time. I've not driven it over 9,000 miles yet. I'm taking her to the local Ford dealer Monday or Tuesday to change the oil, give me a complete inspection, and a very quick wash job.

(EDIT: The transmission fluid was selfchanging when I got this SUV, bad modulator has since been replaced. Fluid is a nice bright red, Mercron V or whatever its called. A qt of Lucas transmission treatment was added when I replaced the modulator last fall.)

Think it would cause more harm then good if I flushed/drained the tranny?

I figure it will make it lighter so therefore easier. The last one I was forced to man handle was from a 2003 GMC and that was not light while laying on my back on concrete and pushing it back up under the truck and then holding it until it was bolted up enough to let go and move.

This time its my baby getting worked on, I take my time and make sure she receives the care she should have always received. You know what I mean? :D

Thanks for the help and future suggestions. I will sit here waiting for a reply or fall asleep in the process ;)

Going to get a free oil change, inspection, and wash from the local Ford dealership and going to pickup my parts from Advanced. They got everything but the manual.

Wish me luck

And? How did it go?

From what I've heard, flushing these things can kill em. But I don't know how much of that is wives tale and how much is true. As for weight, I'd bet the weight of the fluid is a small factor in it's total weight. I wouldn't flush it just for that, now the mess....that's another story. ;)

Check the PCV valve. A stuck valve can cause an oil leak. Very easy to check.

Back