Will K&N intake void the stock 36,000 mile warranty? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will K&N intake void the stock 36,000 mile warranty?

AFKNinja

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I'm interested in purchasing an intake like the one seen in this youtube video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvV-12brWmw

I was wondering if doing such a modification would void my warranty? This would be the only modification done to the car.
I am talking about the original warranty that comes with the car when you buy it brand new at 0 miles, not an extended warranty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I'm interested in purchasing an intake like the one seen in this youtube video,

I was wondering if doing such a modification would void my warranty? This would be the only modification done to the car.
I am talking about the original warranty that comes with the car when you buy it brand new at 0 miles, not an extended warranty.

It can void some of it. These are oiled filters and that oil can deposit on your mass air flow sensor and cause some issues. If you brought your vehicle in for a warranty claim of poor idle for instance, Ford can deny it.

They can't however deny you for a bad tie rod end since the two are unrelated.

Those kits are $300 dollars and to me really don't do anything but give a deeper sound.

Your factory intake has been engineered to be a cold air intake. If you look at the video it shows them disconnecting the "ram air" intake tube. The factory system is almost 100% isolated from heat.

The K&N system isn't as closed off.

K&N is just a bunch of marketing hype.

My suggestion is to save your money, but it's your choice at the end of the day.

I like the sound of K@N. This is what that 3.5 is suppose to sound like.

I like the sound of K@N. This is what that 3.5 is suppose to sound like.

Yeah that's one of the reasons I am considering one, being a younger guy the Explorer being so muted isn't really something I like (although I have gotten lots of comments on how quiet the cabin is)

Strangely enough, on the thread about the exhaust smell coming into the car under hard acceleration, (which my car does have, and I like to drive it hard :D) someone posted that swapping their air filter for the K&N somehow fixed the problem. I have doubts this will work, but it's worth a shot since I'll at least get some nice induction noise.

Finally, if the video and the graphs on the K&N website aren't just marketing, the 10 hp and 15 lbs of torque wouldn't really hurt either, although not a big difference.

Yes it can void the warranty BUT it would be very easy to tell whether the intake caused a failure or not. If it is over oiled, oil will coat the intake (easily determined by dealer). If there was an internal failure due to less filtration, it will void it (easily determined by what intake pipe looks like.

Personally, unless you are tuned, don't waste your money.. you will only get a sound difference, no performance.

Yes it can void the warranty BUT it would be very easy to tell whether the intake caused a failure or not. If it is over oiled, oil will coat the intake (easily determined by dealer). If there was an internal failure due to less filtration, it will void it (easily determined by what intake pipe looks like.

Personally, unless you are tuned, don't waste your money.. you will only get a sound difference, no performance.

15 HP is BS and even if you change the exhaust will still have 0 HP increase in performance. Its all about the sound, unless someone can convince us otherwise.

You will get no power gain out any mod without a tune. The stock tune/map is managing torque to a fixed value.
With foil insulation and foam in top of a stock weather strip blade, with my airaid I am able to maintain intake temps very close to ambient. Does it really do anything even with my lms tune? No idea. Definitely not enough to make the vehicle feel any different and I can hardly hear any difference. Definitely not worth jeopardizing your warranty over, if thats ones concern. I would not take the vehicle to a dealer with an intake still installed.

Check the Warranty Guide. It will tell you what and what isn't covered. Here is just part of what it states under What is Not Covered;

Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:
• alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis,
electronics or their components, after the vehicle leaves the control of
Ford Motor Company
• tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or
with the other parts that affect these systems (for example, but not
limited to exhaust and intake systems)

Peter

It'll only void the warranty of the component that the modification caused to fail. So an intake will do nothing to the suspension/electrical/drivetrain/body warranty. And really, even if the engine did fail you could probably prove that the intake wasn't the cause- after a lengthy battle back and forth between you and Ford.

And because of the state of the ECU, you'll only ever see any increased power in open loop conditions (full and nearly full throttle). The rest of the time, the engine sees all that increased air and compensates to keep the burn stoichiometric.

So if you spend a lot of time at full throttle, then get the intake. If not, save the cash.

The intake does sound "better" by removing the factory resonance chambers that cancel out noise. So if you're into that, then get the intake.

Just know when and where the power is coming from. And how much.....

Intake is for sound only...no gains. I got it so i could hear the turbos more and boy you can really hear them now.

But it shouldn't void it. If something DID happen or is happening. I would just remove it and put the stock one back in

It'll only void the warranty of the component that the modification caused to fail. So an intake will do nothing to the suspension/electrical/drivetrain/body warranty. And really, even if the engine did fail you could probably prove that the intake wasn't the cause- after a lengthy battle back and forth between you and Ford.

And because of the state of the ECU, you'll only ever see any increased power in open loop conditions (full and nearly full throttle). The rest of the time, the engine sees all that increased air and compensates to keep the burn stoichiometric.

So if you spend a lot of time at full throttle, then get the intake. If not, save the cash.

The intake does sound "better" by removing the factory resonance chambers that cancel out noise. So if you're into that, then get the intake.

Just know when and where the power is coming from. And how much.....

Yeah, but look at the graph on the link. The 15 HP increase starts wright as you press on gas pedal. http://www.jegs.com/i/K&N/599/77-2575KS/10002/-1

Per the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act: When accessorizing your vehicle with aftermarket parts, your warranty claim cannot be automatically denied, nor can your warranty be voided if you install non-OEM parts in your vehicle. The burden is on the dealer to prove the aftermarket parts caused the failure.

So just the act of simply installing a K&N CAI or filter will not automatically void the warranty. I've used both K&N CAI's and replacement filters in many of my vehicles for over 20 years, and never, ever had a problem that was directly related to the K&N product. Most of the time the problems that are linked with these filters (oil on the MAF) result from someone who has cleaned and re-oiled, or in this case, over-oiled the filter.

There are a myriad of differing opinions on whether CAI's and K&N filters are beneficial or harmful to one's vehicle. Do they really increase HP/performance? K&N boasts that they do, and has dyno numbers to back it up. Does that apply in the real world of everyday driving? I think that's very subjective, depending on each driver's own "butt dyno" feeling. The only way to tell would be if each person who bought one conducted their own before/after dyno test. Do the K&N products improve MPG? Well, like any mod that claims to do so, maybe or maybe not. It's hard to determine because the one thing in a vehicle that has the most impact on MPG is the weight of the driver's right foot. I don't care how many mods you add that claim to improve MPG, it all comes down to individual driving habits.

I personally like the K&N products because of the cleanable, re-oilable filters. I like being able to buy one filter for my cars and never having to buy another one again. And I've never had a problem with over-oiling/MAF contamination on any of the cars in which I've installed a K&N product. I'm very careful with the amount of oil applied to the filter, and I then let it sit for a long enough time to be absorbed by the filter itself. I also like the K&N CAI intakes for the deeper "growl" that they give to the engine. That's just my preference. I'm a car guy, and I like to hear the sound of my engines.

So in my experience and opinion, K&N products cause no harm to a vehicle when used properly. So if you want to use them, go for it. Your results may vary depending on maintenance and driving habits.

It can void some of it. These are oiled filters and that oil can deposit on your mass air flow sensor and cause some issues. If you brought your vehicle in for a warranty claim of poor idle for instance, Ford can deny it.

They can't however deny you for a bad tie rod end since the two are unrelated.

Those kits are $300 dollars and to me really don't do anything but give a deeper sound.

Your factory intake has been engineered to be a cold air intake. If you look at the video it shows them disconnecting the "ram air" intake tube. The factory system is almost 100% isolated from heat.

The K&N system isn't as closed off.

K&N is just a bunch of marketing hype.

My suggestion is to save your money, but it's your choice at the end of the day.

Couldn't have said it any better. After examining the engine it looks to me that the stock intake will work the best to keep hot air out. Looking at all the aftermarket intakes the stock units design looks the most efficient to me. I rather replace the downpipe before air filter. Goodluck with your modding

My dealer has never said a thing about my Livernois intake. It really all depends on the dealer on how much flack you get.

Back