• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Problem

batfat

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 2 door sport
Hi, 1'st post. My '99 4.0 sohc 5 speed auto trans is doing some weird things. 45,000 miles. When it shifts into third it revs up about 1000 rpm before going in and then bangs in. The o/d off light will start flashing sometimes (the only way to get it out is to turn the ignition off then on) when the light is flashing the button on the end of the stalk has no effect. Any ideas...HELP...Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know about the tranny symptoms,but I recently had my O/D light start flashing. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the solenoid that was bad.I had it repaired,and has run fine since. The part was $75.00 and then the had to drop a crossmember to get into the tranny to change the solenoid,which means add new fluid. $265.00 by the time I left the repair shop. Hope this helps you. Any questions feel free to ask. Cary

The O/D light will start to flash when the PCM (computer) detects a problem with the transmission. If you get a flashing light, you should be able to have it scannned for transmission codes which should give the Tech some clues as to what the problem is.

If it is only the shift to Third that is the problem,and all other shifts are ok, then I would speculate that it is the Shift Solenoid. If it has problems with other shifts, then it could be the EPC (line pressure) solenoid or something mechanical.

Thanks very much for the info...if anyone else has further info I'd sure appreaciate it. Thanks

Ford has a known problem

with the EPC solenoid in the '99. The metal bracket that holds it in cracks and the solenoid backs out. The solution is to replace both the EPC solenoid and the bracket as was said before. If that was what they did, he got a real deal! The 5R55E also has a lot of problems with the valve body gaskets blowing out. Anyone with one of this transmissions should drop the pan after a couple of years and tighten the valve body bolts. All mine were loose. I bought a spare '99 w/52K transmission for parts. It blew out the valve body gasket. Some of these also need an updated seperator plate to eliminate a transmission whine.

Back