• Register Today It's free!

DiagTek scan tool rules!!

BradE.

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4x4
Well, I finally ordered a OBD II Scan tool from DiagTek. I order the tool on Friday August 8th. On Monday August 11th, it was delivered to my door. Not bad from SoCal to Cincinnati!! Needless to say quick shipping is impressive.

On to the good stuff, this is the best scan tool I've ever used on a Ford!! It's that good. This thing is amazing. On my 1997 Explorer it reads Air bag, Anti-Lock Brakes, Automatic Ride control, Climate Control, Emissions system, GEM and CTM, Powertrain Control and Remote anti-theft modules!!! It will pull codes for all those modules, and clear them. It also displays all PID's (sensor values, resistance, failure alerts, etc) for all those modules. Man, this thing is sweet!! It also does several tests for each of those modules. I tested it on my 1995 Town Car also, and it reads quite a few things on it also, which is very impressive since it's a very early OBD II setup.

I've owned several scan tools (including Auto Xray and Alex Pepers unit), and this one blows them all away for Fords. Those other units on read engine, DiagTek reads much more. The bad part is, it works on Fords only. :( Plus, it runs on a Palm Pilot, so you'll need one to use it. Cost, well it isn't cheap. $250, plus the cost of the Palm. However, for the amount of things this can do, it's worth every cent IMO.

If your looking for the ultimate scan tool for Fords, DiagTek just might be it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds good!

Can you output states, i.e. can you command the shift solenoids in the trans to go off/on using the scan tool?

Can you read generic codes for other makes with it? or only Ford? I'm thinking that if I could do generic codes for other makes (Toyota), it would be worthwhile for me to get the DiagTek. I may just get it anyway, even though I would need another software package for the Toyota.

The scanner does not offer Bi-Directional controls, so you can't command things with it. :(

Yes, it reads Ford only. Well, Ford/Lincoln/Mercury/Panoz/Powerstroke/Saleen

For a Ford vehicle though, this thing does the most of any scan tool I've seen short of the Ford NGS scanner. You can check it out at www.diagtek.com if you want. :)

I bought one of these last week, and I agree, it is great.

It has already paid for itself because it allowed me to track down a misfire problem that wasn't setting any codes. I set it up so I could monitor for misfires while driving and was able to confirm that it was misfiring under load. If I had taken it to the dealer, they probably never would have spent enough time to discover the real problem, plus it would have cost as much as the scanner in diagnostic time.

Also, you can scan for all supported PID's while you are driving. I set it up to read Transfer Case Clutch Duty Cycle, Front Driveshaft Speed and Rear Driveshaft Speed while driving. What is interesting is that the front and rear speeds are not always the same but can be a couple of miles off from each other under acceleration or braking. I'm now waiting until a rainy day so I can see how much the Duty Cycle varies when the 4wd Auto kicks in. So far, on dry pavement, the duty cycle is only 0.78 % in 4wd Auto, but goes to 13 % in 4wd High.

Anyway, it is a useful tool and a cool toy at the same time :cool:

Glad you like yours. I recently got the upgrade via email. I have bi-directional control now!! :cool: Make sure you fill out that little card with your email addy and they will send you updates free of charge.

Mine has also paid for itself. I got an ABS code on my Town Car, said the ABS pump was shot. Well, it was a glitch. I had some crap inside the connector that was throwing a code. If I had gone to the dealer, you bet your ass I would have been buying a new ABS pump. It's so nice being able to scan more than just PCM. Anyway, I love this thing. Best Ford scanner ever, makes Auto X-Ray look like a crap heap. ;)

Heh I will stick with my uber expensive snap on scan tool. Of course I have to use it every day on any type car. Glad you found one you like. You know MAC (though i dont like the company) has a nice obd2 unit that does all OBD2 including air bags and the like for something around 300 bucks

Back