• Register Today It's free!

Manual Transmission Shifter Knob

ATNavything

Reaction score
City, State
Honolulu, HI.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport
Hello, I recently purchashed a 2002 Explorer Sport, I am wanting to remove the shifter knob on my manual transmission, to replace it with a snake head, and it wont budge. I've pulled and twisted the knob but it won't budge an inch. I don't want to break the thing seeing as how I just got it and its the nicest vehicle I have ever owned. Can anyone out there tell me the proper technique to doing this and what I am doing wrong. Thanks for the help.

Nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no need to start identical threads in 4 forums....This is the only one left now...People will answer anywhere on the board, just keep an eye on it.

Just a heads up for the future:D

I don't know about the shifters in the 02s but earlier years the shifter ball is just pressed on to a splined shaft and it can be a real pita to get off. You can try heating it up with a heating it up with a heat gun but just becareful not to melt it.

You're probably not going to be able to put any other knob on unless is it splinned like the factory knob. You will probably have to have some threads turned on the end of the shifter.

But to get the knob off, if you don't need it anymore, just take a big pair of channel lock pliers and twist if off and pull and all that good crap. It's going to be a pain to get off, but it does just kind of slide right off.

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the replys, I think I am gonna go to the dealership and see what they can do or reccomend.

Back