98 stock radio in a 95?

KillerXLT

Reaction score
City, State
PA/NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
Me:95 XLT, V6; Dad: 02 EB
I need some help guys,
I have a 95 XLT Explorer. The stock radio is a AM/FM Cassette. My friend gave me the stock radio out of his 98 XLT Explorer which is the CD/Tape AM/FM radio. I thought it would be an easy swap but not so. The plugs in the back are different. Anyone ever do the swap? Is it possible to do? Any help on this is appreciated!
Thanks in Advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

????

Does anyone know how to do this? I new to this board am I going about asking the wrong way?

Check out this site:

http://www.radiosandmore.com/

It sounds like you may need a different harness for this head unit. There may or may not be a replacement part available, and these guys may or may not stock it, but it is worth a try.

I found them to be most helpful, and they cary a lot of hard to find stuff (like the tool you need to pull your head unit out in the first place). If you send them an e-mail they should be able to tell you if what you are trying to do is possible, and what parts you will need.

Good Luck,

Thanks Crash!

FYI

Here is how I did it. I bought a wiring harness as if I was going to put an aftermarket radio in. I pluged it in and cut the end pluggs off. Then I bought the Stock wiring harness for the CD/Tape radio from the ford dealer. I spliced the plugs from the ford harness onto the Aftermarket harness wires. Now I have a AM/FM/CD/Tape stock head unit in my 95 Explorer.

Cool. Glad it worked out... Rock on!

Killer XLT:

How much did the stock wiring harness from the ford dealer cost?

Thanx.

The wires cost me $20 but that is w/ employee discount.

That sounds good, but i would have just bought the wire harness for the 95 X and the reverse harness (yes, there is such a thing) for a 98 X and wired those colors together and then they would have just snapped in...did this a few times while installing for Best Buy...won't work if one of the decks require premium sound and the other one doesn't.

glad you got it working...

Back