'01 4x4 issues... couldn't find an answer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'01 4x4 issues... couldn't find an answer.

alec_b

Reaction score
City, State
Richfield, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Limited
Hi all-

Been working on my girlfriends '01 Sport Trac and I'm having an issue with the 4x4. Last winter she complained that sometimes the switch would have to be turned back and forth between 2wd and 4wd to get it to kick in. This year, we've got no 4wd at all.

Both the 4wd lights come on at startup, and when I turn the knob to 4-HI I can hear the 4x4 module clicking randomly but nothing happens. I have swapped out the shift motor, I know the old one was bad because with the motor removed and a friend moving the switch the motor wouldn't move; however, I could feel the motor trying to do something.

So I replaced the shift motor, still no 4x4. However, now with the motor removed it DOES move slightly, but then reverts to it's original position.

I have confirmed the wiring between the 4x4 module and the shift motor, and that the transfer case can be manually shifted through all gears. I get a recurring P1867 Transfer Case Contact Plate Circuit, it will set immediately when trying to shift into 4-HI.

Since I've got a new shift motor in there, and I've verified power to the module and wiring to the shift motor, I'm looking at a new module correct? I've read about an issue with the '02 Explorers burning out modules just with a battery disconnect and I just replaced the alternator a month or so ago which obviously meant disconnecting the battery.

Also, if I do have to replace the module, can I just grab one out of the JY and put it in? I'm guessing the year has to be the same or close, but does it have to be programmed?

Sorry about all the questions, just don't want to keep having issues with this thing!

Module does not have to be programmed. Check the electrical connections REAL good!

Back