01 Eddie Bauer will not start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 Eddie Bauer will not start

CatDaddy13

Reaction score
I need some help. Over the past few weeks I have noticed that sometimes it will not start. Usually I would just wait a few seconds and it starts right up. This all came crashing down yesterday. I drove it to work fine and when I tried to go home it would not start at all. I can hear a single click coming from the hood. I hooked up a battery pack to jump start to no avail. However, when I hooked up to another car it did start. I took it to Autozone to test the battery & alternator both read good. I had the same problem again tonight. I think it may be a grounding issue draining the battery. Can anyone help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a connection issue. Check all connections at the battery and the solenoid/starter. Look for corrision. Keep in mind that cables can corrode from the inside out.

Yeah it definately sounds like a connection problem to me. Mine did the same thing to me yesterday because I had the terminals off to reset the computer and I forgot to fully tighten the negative terminal. (It was fully tightened, just wore out) So I purchased a new terminal and it works fine.

non startin' suv or sob at that time...

my 95 just started doing the same thing. i found i can reset the fuel inertia switch and she fires up. picture is in the manual...right side under the glove box. i was told it may be the crank sensor switch causing it. have you noticed the "check gauge" light come on briefly? left above the tach...

this is probably not even close to your problem if you're hearing a click under the hood. since your's is 96 most parts houses will hook up the code reader and give an idea of what the code problem says...couple bucks and they will "usually" be glad to help. got an autozone here in texas and the little girl with the black nails (polish) and black,red and green hair is a little lady that knows more than all the boys...she just likes pieces and parts. just saved me 129. last nite on sensors. good luck with that pain and aggravation...hope it is simple.

bvajay

bvajay: check and make sure the plug on the bottom of the inertia switch is on tight.

Thanks for the help guys. I checked all the usual suspects and could not find anything. I had to break down and take it in. It turns out the GEM had gone bad and was drawing a constant voltage. I had it replaced but now my keyless entry does not work. I tried to turn the key off to on eight times like the manual says but it will not cycle the locks like it is supposed to. Since the GEM controls the accessories I think that it needs to be reset. Any ideas?

Back