01 expl-sport loud knocking in rear over bumps | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 expl-sport loud knocking in rear over bumps

bang bang

I have an 01 & an 02 explorer sport and they both do the same thing. I beleave they have both done it to the point that it has made the side window leak at the top. It seams like if that's the case than there's too much body movement off the frame. Does anyone have a leaky back side windows ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 01 & an 02 explorer sport and they both do the same thing. I beleave they have both done it to the point that it has made the side window leak at the top. It seams like if that's the case than there's too much body movement off the frame. Does anyone have a leaky back side windows ?

I bought the daystar kit and replaced all 4 rear bushing what a difference! But two rear ones were so impacted that you have to cut with sawzall I went to midas and they did job for me, had to get new longer bolts for rear two but was able to use old sleeve with new big round washes that came with daystar kit. Never had leaky window from banging but get this done and you will be so happy. Cost me about $300 to replace 4 rear bushings.

I bought the daystar kit and replaced all 4 rear bushing what a difference! But two rear ones were so impacted that you have to cut with sawzall I went to midas and they did job for me, had to get new longer bolts for rear two but was able to use old sleeve with new big round washes that came with daystar kit. Never had leaky window from banging but get this done and you will be so happy. Cost me about $300 to replace 4 rear bushings.

the leaky back side windows that's the weird part. i have two explorer sports an 01 & 02 and one leaks on the right side and the other on the passenger side. i'll try the bushing kits , i know they both need them. thanks for the help.:exp:

Sure am glad I found this thread. My goodness I never knew the Explorer Sport had this issue. I had owned a 95 4x4 some years back and put close to 150k miles on it before letting it go. I recently decided to purchase a local run a round vehicle and didn't want to put a fortune in it so given my pervious experience I decided an '01 one owner with 101K miles should fit the bill. Test drive went well but I heard the bump and thought... shocks bad in the back. Replaced them and ride was improved but "bump" still there. That's when I began a search and found this. Looks like I will attempt the change myself and will order the replacement kit tonight. I don't have a porta power but I think I'll go buy one of those as well. Now for the question. When using the porta power were you able to lift the frame with the duckbill attachment or did you still have to lift with a brace on the top to spread lifting?

Thanks to those who have shared so willingly your experiences and learnings.

John

Got the bolts out of the mounts this afternoon. It was full use of 18" breaker bar all the way out. I have them soaking in solvent overnight and will raise the body to install the new mounts in the morning. I had to use vice grips on the bottom of mount on every one of them to remove. The bushings just fell apart as I started to turn them. So far so good!!

Got the bolts out of the mounts this afternoon. It was full use of 18" breaker bar all the way out. I have them soaking in solvent overnight and will raise the body to install the new mounts in the morning. I had to use vice grips on the bottom of mount on every one of them to remove. The bushings just fell apart as I started to turn them. So far so good!!

You're gonna be so dam happy when you replace the bushings, like a brand new truck! I recommend you have them checked and retightened after driving about 1,000 miles. Highly recommend new shocks as well all around.

Have an '02 Sport that sounds like it has no rear suspension. I'm sure this is what's going on, I'll have to do some "Exploring" underneath and see what's what. Thank you!

Hi, just joined.
I just bought a 2001 Sport 4x4 SOHC with 170K on it. It sat for over a year on a lot. I think it's been driven in salt water, there's so much lower rust in it. Engine, tranny and 4wd work great... actually, everything but cruise control, and the A/C blows warm air only. I bought it as a winter driver in place of a Mazda5, as southern NH gets plenty of snow.
I know there are a few through-holes in the rear underbody sheetmetal, and one cross-piece just above the rear shackles is rusted into pieces. My rear glass shakes when I hit bumps, but I have yet to actually 'locate' all of the looseness of mine. I am pretty sure -- now that I've read these posts -- that I've likely found out what a good portion of my Sport's issues include.
I have other concerns to tend to, and my commute is under 10 miles a day round trip, so I'm not gonna deal with this right now. I was just happy that it passed registration -- I had to screw on new (OEM replacement) rocker panels over the remnants of what was left, and put the plastic rocker covers back in place, to hide the under-body rust. It looks good (but unwashed) and the doors close fine, but had to spend money on exhaust (after cat, back) to get it done at the last minute, so I'm not into any tear-down for a few weeks.

I'm gonna look at my body bushings and see what I find. In the meantime, I've stuffed some foam in the lower corners of the rear glass so it won't shake and rattle so much...

Body mounts complete

You are so right about the change.

New shocks were first order of business. I changed them last week.

Finished the body mounts today and took a spin on both smooth and bumpy roads. Fantastic !!! I have already tickled my file with mileage to re-torque the bolts. :)

John

You're gonna be so dam happy when you replace the bushings, like a brand new truck! I recommend you have them checked and retightened after driving about 1,000 miles. Highly recommend new shocks as well all around.

Hi again, been away a while. Been busy with other vehicles while my Sport has been parked since the Spring (in New Hampshire, that was last month!). Summer was yesterday, and now we're heading into fall again.
My 2001 Sport has a high-pressure line leak on the power steering, but I've been unable to get the fitting loose at the rack. So, I'm gonna have the dealer do it and be done with it.
I examined all of the body bushings and they are intact. What is missing is a lot of the boxed metal under-body framework -- so, essentially, the floor is pretty solid to the area right over the vehicle frame, but anything hanging over (like, near the wheel wells) is kinda flimsy so the body can flex some. The 'noise' I get -- like, a solid 'bang' when I hit a bump -- that just might be the rear hatch coming loose on one side only. I've not had time to work on this one... but am starting to, now.

I bought a limited slip rear last winter for it, hoping for a weekend project to put it in. My Sport has a axle code of 46 = 3.73 standard differential, and at 180K miles it's making some noise back there. So the axle I bought was sold to me as a limited slip and until just tonight (when I opened it up and checked into it) I really was not sure if it was LS or not. It is... the parts don't lie. I will put in new bearings and seals before I install it. The axle if out of a 4-door Eddie Bauer V8, and it is tagged as a 3L73 (meaning 3.73 limited slip in Dana 8.8 terms).
I will have some fun with the brakes on this as the bought axle was dropped on both ends in the icy mud, so all the brake guards are bent up... much more of a rebuild than really want to mess with.
When I'm done, I expect to have a 2001 Sport with 180K on the clock, LS rear so I should have real 3-wheel drive when I need it this winter.
I think this vehicle's had at least the short-block replaced, as the engine runs too well with no sign of oil problems...

And, on another note, I just bought a new 2014 Escape SE with the 1.6 ecoboost and 4wd. About 400 miles on it now. So far, so good. My mazda5 was collecting several issues and I finally had to let it go.

I'll report when I have something to show about the rear axle swap into the Sport.

"Rear" meaning fifth location from the front? 2001-03 two-door Sports should use the same mounts.

Dorman radiator support position #1and position #4 not available?

Dorman body mount used for locations #3 and #5. (924-060)
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-72548-924-060.aspx?origin=keyword

Dorman body mount for location #2. (924-059)
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-72537-924-059.aspx?origin=keyword

IF you don't need the metal shells and hardware here's two complete polyurethane kits:
http://www.daystarsuspensionparts.com/kf04009bk
http://www.aftermarketsuspensionparts.com/dfm002

Just a heads up:
2001 Explorer Sport body mounts | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

Back