01 explorer sport no 4wheel high no light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 explorer sport no 4wheel high no light

bdkrsk

Reaction score
City, State
fishkill , new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
hello all
after reading a ton of threads for hours and getting nowhere , i'm reaching out for joe [gijoecam] . joe i have a 2001 explorer sport auto tranny . today while driving to work in 4wheel high i noticed the light 4wheel high was not on anymore and the switch was still in 4wheel high . i turned the switch back to 2wheel drive and then again to 4wheel high and still no light . when i got to work i tried it again in the parking lot and still no light . i turned the truck off and back on and the 4wheel high and 4wheel low lights went on with the rest , but same thing , switch in 4wheel high and still no light . the abs light is off and there working fine . can you give me the correct proceedure for troubleshooting this problem . a-millon thanks for any and all help , bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You say there is no light but is the 4wd engaging?

nope no 4wheel engaging !!!!

Anyone any help at all ?????

Do you get anything in 4lo?

nope nothing in 4wheel low either ?????????????

It sounds like you've got no power to the shift control module. In the battery junction box under the hood there is a large 20 amp fuse( in position #6) that controls shift functions. Start there and we'll see what you've got.

now it's working again and i've done nothing . maybe something was lose that i touched while checking ?????????? i turned it on and off several times , several different days and it seems to be working fine again ???????????? i'm baffled ?????????? thanks for the help . but if theres anything that you think i should check or change please let me know . i know when it snows again and the wife needs it , it wount be working .. thanks again . bob

Did you fudge with the 4x4 module behind the right kick panel? It's well known to get a bit of corrosion on the connector and fail to operate. Unplugging/plugging back often breaks that glaze and it goes back to working.

no but i'll keep that in mind for the next time . i only checked fuses , i pulled them out , wire brushed them , sparyed the female socket with electric cleaner and reinstalled them .. i removed the wire from the 4wheel drive switch and did the same thing .. but it didn't work after that , it started working a few days later ???????????????

Back