• Register Today It's free!

'01 Ford Explorer Tune Up

Tech-Tylord

Reaction score
City, State
Slippery Rock PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ford explorer
i just bought a 2001 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition, and it REALLY needs a tune up, and to save money i'd like to do it myself, if anyone knows how or knows of an instructional video, plz let me know, i am willing to do all the repairs myself but i want to do them right, get the right parts, etc. i'm willing to work on it. so plz let me know what all i can tune up and how to do it. thanks!

Your 'edition' has to do with accessories, seats, how fancy is the radio, and some such. If you need detailed advice about tuning the engine, members will need to know which one of the three (perhaps only two for 2001) possible engines is in your Eddie. If you don't know that, just post the eighth digit of your VIN.
And by the way, the word 'tuneup' has been used very loosely for the last 25 years or so, because from the day of computerized fuel injection there is nothing to adjust (perhaps with the exception of the gap in your spark plugs). What people usually mean by tuneup is more-or-less routine maintenance, much of which will be listed in your owner's manual. Be aware that the word 'tuneup' has also been used to mean re-programming the computer for special purposes like racing. I don't think that's what you meant.
A couple items not in the manual come to mind:
1) Replace the ignition wires if they are more than 5 years old
2) Clean the MAF (carefully)
3) Replace the fuel filter
You will find the details for all this (and much more) by searching the proper topics in this forum.
4) Have the computer trouble codes scanned (if the check engine light is not on, you may still have 'pending' codes), and take care of whatever they tell you.

i just bought a 2001 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition, and it REALLY needs a tune up, and to save money i'd like to do it myself, if anyone knows how or knows of an instructional video, plz let me know, i am willing to do all the repairs myself but i want to do them right, get the right parts, etc. i'm willing to work on it. so plz let me know what all i can tune up and how to do it. thanks!

If you can do a search here you can find every conceivable maintenance and repair.

Back