• Register Today It's free!

01 Sport Trac rear brakes.

nmoore

Reaction score
City, State
Owingsville Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Explorer Sport Trac
I have posted a question about this proublem over a year ago and i was wondering if anyone had any new ideas to fix my problem. My 01 sport trac has the drum brakes in the rear. Everytime it rains or frost or any type of moisture in the air they lock up at slow speeds. I can barely apply pressure to the brake pedal and both sides will lock up tight until i release the pedal and instantly they let go. I have inspected the brake shoes sevral times as well as the drums. The adjuster is adjusted all the way in. I have no idea how to solve this proublem. It is getting very dangerous when it snows and such. If i get it up to 60 mph and hit the brakes easy it will not lock until it gets much slower. When it does slow down without locking you can feel the brakes grabbing at the drum. Through the summer i dont have this problem unless it rains. Anyone have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try a different brand of brake shoe. That worked on a Ranger I used to have.

A shoe change might assist in reducing rear grab but be sure to address the other issues that might cause the same issue.
Since your vehicle is older it wouldn't hurt to replace return springs and hardware. As it gets weaker it allows the shoes to push out with more force and can cause the brakes to grab. Be sure there is a smooth finish on the braking surface inside the drum. Clean it before installation with hot soapy water and a stiff non-metallic brush. This will help remove any metal particles which can get embedded in the shoe and aggrivate the situation. Be sure parking brake cables are free and adjusted properly.
Worst case scenario is everything brake-wise is correct and adjusted.....then would come out the pressure gauges to check brake pressure balance between the fronts and rears. It should run about 60-40% with the fronts being the highest. It is not the most common malady but proportioning valves have failed in the past.

Get the hardware kit for the rear brakes.

Ill pick some shoes and the hardware kits today and try to put them on tomm. Hopefully this will fix it. The only part of it that puzzles me is why does it only do this when its raining snowing and such. Good dry day's it does not do it?

I had the drums turned and i replaced the shoes, hardware kit and self adjusting kit. So far it hasnt acted up, but there has not been any rain or such to provoke it. I ill find out later this week. It is giving rain for the middle of the week

Shoe types may be a possible culprit

I believe one shoe is designed to be a leading shoe and the other a trailing shoe. Now I can not remember which one faces the front or the rear.
Also, if you compare them one will have a longer friction surface than the other.
In some haynes manuals in the brake section you can find a picture of the correct configuration. Have a look though different ones, maybe you will come across one.
The above is only a guess at a possible explanation. I am sure a friendly experienced mechanic will know what is going on or ask some older guys who have been working on cars for a long time. They are the ones I get most of my info from when I become stumped by something. You got to love them old guys and their wealth of info.
A previous poster suggested trying a different shoe manufacturer which I agree with too.
Good luck.

I have recently aquired a 2001 sport trac from my mother in law. My brakes will lock up in the rear anytime during moderate braking. She said this problem started after she had the brakes replaced at the dealer. I am ASE certified in brakes and currently replacing the shoes and hardware on mine. I will post what happens. Also, the dealer kept saying they couldn't find anything wrong with the shoes after they replaced them.

shorter shoe to the front of the vehicle longer in the back

You are getting moisture between your shoes and drums. Happened a lot on older Chevy vans with metallic pads. I drove one for work for a few years. I would drive with my foot on the brake peddle warming up the brakes and getting rid of the moisture. Dave P.

Back