2008 Sport Trac Rear brake noise/vibe | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Sport Trac Rear brake noise/vibe

Monkamann2004

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Sport Trac
My 2008 Sport Trac occasionally seems to have developed a rear brake noise/vibe humming noise at very low speeds like when pulling out of a parking spot or driveway/garage, very embarrassing and mysteriously disappears then reappears like it has a mind of its own... full visual inspection on all components shows no sign of anything unusual or worn. Anyone know anything about what's causing this?? THANKS!!

Hum or rattle? If already installed, stainless anti rattle clips should be visible without removing the tires or calipers. Make sure
all caliper hardware and the slide pins are lubed with silicone brake grease. Also, brake pads should have shims or red Brake Quiet compound on the back of the pads.

REAR BRAKE RATTLE OVER BUMPS
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=140572

This happened to me in my Acura and my brakes finally froze up. There was rust on the lock pins and the support bracket couldnt slide freely. I took the pins out and cleaned them with a wire brush and the problem was solve . If you've changed pads before you can tackle this.
2010-08-28_164854_3d_exploded_caliper.gif

I'll just add... if the trouble is with the guide pins, replace the rubber "dust" boots which likely failed to begin with and caused the trouble. Most auto parts stores will have new guide pins and rubber boots as a kit, like $6 or so, well worth it.

Back