01 ST PATS Key Programing Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 ST PATS Key Programing Question

Slatch

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
Has anyone observed what the PATS theft light does during key reprograming with a NGS? I am trying to fix a 01 ST for a friend that was seriously messed with by the previous owner. He only had it for a couple of days before an intermintant no start problem developed. After a couple of more days would not start at all. It would crank fine but no injection pulse. Every once in a while over a two month period it would start and then not start again for a week or so. The theft light did not come on at all at any time. Seeing the engine cranked we initialy discounted a PATS issue. Then I found they had jumped the starter relay ground circut. I removed the PCM and found it is a remanafactured one. I removed the instrument cluster and found it had been seriously damaged and had a bunch of circuts jumped. Anyway used instrument cluster installed and all wiring returned to normal. Theft light works correctly. The question is while reprograming the keys with a NGS one key will turn the theft light solid after about 3 seconds the other key the theft light stays off. is it possiable to tell which key is good and which is bad from this? Since it was getting a B1602 I suspect one or both keys are bad...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do not have access to a NGS so I can't answer the question but I have sent you a bit of info in case you don't have it. My observation relating to the B1602 though is it may be the transceiver in the column.

There are a couple Ford Techs here than can help you better than me.

PATS keys

Not all PATS keys are created equal. I bought one from eBay for my 2000 Sport. I took it and my only good key to a local locksmith to get it programmed. I was told by the locksmith he would not bother with any eBay junk and I would have to purchase a new key from him. I said fine. He cut the key and tried to program it but it would not work. He said the theft light was not acting normally during programming. I don't remember if it was supposed to be on or off. He cut my eBay key and another one from a different manufacturer. They both programmed successfully and I was only charged for one key.

Good point, forgot to mention that. Buy, from eBay or wherever, ONLY Ford branded blanks or Strattec branded blanks. Strattec makes Fords blanks. Other brands are known to FUBAR the PATS.

Thanks, that is the next step to get two new keys, and replace the transceiver. Unfortunitly being in the Philippines getting parts is harder and more expensive....and the local dealers only have one key blank....I have the a NGS but I dont want to reprogram keys on a working vehicle just to find out what the light should do.

Okay, so today we decided to make the big step and borrow a ST one month off build date. We took the Key Cylinder, Key and PCM and put them in the problem vehicle. (we did this after scanning them from the donor vehicle and getting no DTC codes). Once in the problem vehicle it started right away and both KOEO and KOER brought back no codes. We took the Key Cylinder, Key and PCM from the problem vehicle and put them in the donor vehicle. Key one when switched to run put the theft light in a solid on condition. I have never seen this, turning to start no start. Used second key and everything worked fine, three second on and then off and vehicle started. Repeated with both keys many times same results. So we think maybe it is solved and put the Bad key away. Move the PCM, Key etc back to the donor vehicle and it stars fine (thank God). We put the PCM key etc back into the problem vehicle and we get the fast blink theft light no start. So now I am really confused. Back to plan A, new transceiver and two new keys.

Move the PCM, Key etc back to the donor vehicle and it stars fine (thank God).

I hope you have this kind of luck if you ever decide to play Russian Roulette!

We put the PCM key etc back into the problem vehicle and we get the fast blink theft light no start. So now I am really confused. Back to plan A, new transceiver and two new keys.

:dunno::crazy::popcorn::popcorn:

Yes I looked at that and alot of other information. But yesterday we got two new blanks and cut them and reprogrammed them and everything works fine. Besides all of the wiring isuues it was a bad key and a intermentant key. The answer to my original question seems to be this.

After erasing the PCM key memory with a NGS, when you cycle the first key to run after a couple of seconds the theft light goes solid on, it stayed on until the key was cycled off. Second key was cycled to run after a second or two theft light came on for maybe 3 seconds and goes off. Turn key to start and engine runs.....So from what I can tell if the theft light does not produce the above result during programming you probably have a key issue......

Anyway, on to fixing the radio wiring which was butchered also......

Yep, a small victory at least we can move the truck......Now off to the rest of the issues..

Radio wiring butchered
4WD system inop
ETC issues
ABS issues
Passenger window motor bad
Power door locks dont work from any switch
and who knows what else I havent found yet...

Yes, glad you got it straightened out ! I'm just envious of you having a NGS to play with !!

Back