• Register Today It's free!

key programing

flash041

Reaction score
City, State
Monona WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT
I ordered a Ford fusion key and a standard replacment key for my 04 XLT on ebay.I only have one key so I know I have to pay to have at least one of them programed.I went to a local lock smith that said he had the equipment to program the keys.When he got to keys he said because of the type of keys he could not program an that I would have to go to the dealer to have it done.Has any one else had this problem getting a lock smith to program keys?Am I stuck going to the dealer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just check around several dealers. The price can vary wildly!

i didn't have that problem.

The lock smith said it was $80 to program a second key because of the necessary computer hookup required when you only have 1 key.

He didn't charge me for the 3rd as he did it in about 30 seconds because he had the first 2.

Like OH said, check around. You will find someone.

I went to a Ford dealer today to get my keys programed.When I handed him the Fusion key the service adviser said that the key would not work with my Explorer.I then handed him another plain key and asked him to do this one and I would do the Fusion key my self after I had 2 keys.He said he would only charge me for one key and that they would try to program the Fusion key.After 45 mins the job was done I had both keys programed , now a total of three !Cost was $46 plus tax.

I went to a Ford dealer today to get my keys programed.When I handed him the Fusion key the service adviser said that the key would not work with my Explorer.I then handed him another plain key and asked him to do this one and I would do the Fusion key my self after I had 2 keys.He said he would only charge me for one key and that they would try to program the Fusion key.After 45 mins the job was done I had both keys programed , now a total of three !Cost was $46 plus tax.

Sweet deal!

I would also like to get one of these keys but The only Explorer "Fusion key" I see listed on e-bay state they are for 07-08 Explorers. Is this the one you ordered for your 04? Thanks

are the fusion and the edge keys the same as the Mercury Milan key? Because if I go with a new key i'd like the mercury logo on the back since i have a mounty

I got my Fusion key on ebay from seller, Midwestkeyless.The price was $39.94 plus shipping. at the same time I also ordered a plain key for a back up for $ 8.91 plus shipping.I got a few dollars off shipping by combining the two orders.The Fusion key stated it worked on 2006-2008 Fusions.I assumed , by reading posts about this subject,that this key would work, and it did!!I have read that the Fusion key for 02-05 exs .

$65 at locksmith for standard key cut and programming. Buying a stock key off of ebay really saved me nothing as the locksmith sold them for $10.00. Took about 15 minutes to program.

Buying a stock key off of ebay really saved me nothing as the locksmith sold them for $10.00.

Damn, I wish I'd known that! I just bought a stock key for $10 plus shipping! :(

There is no way to avoid going to the dealership or Lock Smith, to program the 2nd key, in my country there is no lock smith and the only key makers with this type of tools, charge over $120 for each key, which I found too unfair, any one have any instructions on how I can program the second key, I bougth it also from Ebay like 6 months ago, and like I said its almost imposible to get a cheaper deal here, thanks

There is no way to avoid going to the dealership or Lock Smith, to program the 2nd key, in my country there is no lock smith and the only key makers with this type of tools, charge over $120 for each key, which I found too unfair, any one have any instructions on how I can program the second key, I bougth it also from Ebay like 6 months ago, and like I said its almost imposible to get a cheaper deal here, thanks

Uhh, didn't you answer your own question there in your first statement? Without 2 programed and functioning keys you are at the mercy of someone with the proper diagnostic tool.

I found this chart recently on the powerstrokeforum (quite by accident) and thought folks here would like to see too: http://fordpowerstrokeforums.com/downloads/PATS%20Job%20Aid.pdf
It's a great resource for all things PATS all on one page. :D

Thanks for your responce rrgone, but sorry to bother you a little bit more, but I´m not too familiar with the PATS, and diagnostic tools, is that the same one they use to check the computer when the check engine lights up?

Back