• Register Today It's free!

01 X sport died at 50mph

Mrriverajr

Reaction score
City, State
new jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 X sport,04XLT
Help my exp. Shut off at 50mph and won't start back up. I am on the side of the highway. What could it be? It just cranks and cranks but doesn't start

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need to narrow it down to fuel or ignition. Is there fuel pressure in the fuel rail? Do you have spark while cranking it?

I hear what your saying but I have no tools and am on the side of the road alone. Can't really check for spark. Damn bad day and its snowing out here.

that blows bout ur 01 sport

were there any strange noises when it shut off

Probably not much you are going to be able to do on the side of the road then. Best bet is to get it towed somewhere you can start doing some diagnostic work and figure out whats going on. There is a shrader valve on the fuel rail that you can press and check if there is any fuel pressure while the key is in the run position. Just be careful not to spray fuel at yourself and don't try it if the engine is warm.

Ok here it is I towed it to the Ford dealer and they chcked it out. They checked it out and told me the engine lost compression on the left side and 2 cylinders on the right side. So I decided to sell it for parts or a rebuild 2500 Hundred bucks. Let me know what you think..
2001FordExplorerSport001.jpg

That truck's in WAY too good of shape to part it...I'd do the rebuild.

Well, that sucks...If I had the money, I'd take it off your hands...hehe. How many miles did it have on it when it finally decided to take a turn for the worst?

well, that sucks...if i had the money, i'd take it off your hands...hehe. How many miles did it have on it when it finally decided to take a turn for the worst?

That's not bad at all...are you just gonna sell it as is, or do you really have the intention of parting it?

I preffer to sell it as is, i really don't want to start ripping it apart. I would kill me cause it is in such good condition.

Yeah, that's exactly was I was thinking...heh

Ok here it is I towed it to the Ford dealer and they chcked it out. They checked it out and told me the engine lost compression on the left side and 2 cylinders on the right side. So I decided to sell it for parts or a rebuild 2500 Hundred bucks. Let me know what you think..
2001FordExplorerSport001.jpg

Any takers?

Automatic 4x4

It's not a manual by chance is it?

Never mind, just noticed it's an XLT so it won't have a manual.

Actually it's a Sport...the sport is the only model of the Explorer that was produced in 2001. Also, the XLT is 4-Door, and this one's a two-door :)

I don't think any of the Explorers past 1st gen have manuals (stock) either, although I may be wrong there.

Oh, Mrriverajr, you might have some luck if you post your X up over in this forum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think any of the Explorers past 1st gen have manuals (stock) either said:
thats what i thought too but just a few days ago i got in a 2004 xls (yeah thats not a typo XLS) 4 door with a manual....it was the coolest x ive seen! i should have taken some pictures. the shifter looked so trick it had the full center console with a short shifter sticking up out of it. at first i thought no way so i went n looked it up by VIN and sure enough it was all in there as factory stuff. now i want one!!!

Back