• Register Today It's free!

01 X-Sport Engine Question

Mrriverajr

Reaction score
City, State
new jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 X sport,04XLT
Ok my 01 Sport's timing chain went and bent all my valves on the 4.0. I have found someone with a 02 Ranger that is a rollover with a 4.0 for sale that has 41,000 miles on it. I want purchase it from him to fix my car, does anyone know if this motor will work without any modifications. Is it a direct drop in and how hard will the swap be?
Thanks everyone

I am a very handy person, is this something a person with good tool knowledge can do?

The '02 Ranger is very close to a direct bolt-in. I'm not sure when they changed the fuel system though. Also depends what month your build date is. The later '01 Sport builds had more in common with the Ranger stuff. The earlier '01 Sport engines were more like the Gen 2 Explorers. Even if alot of parts are different, your intake/fuel/accessories/etc will bolt up to the Ranger longblock and work just fine.

I swapped an '05 Ranger engine into my '01 Sport and was able to use quite a bit of the Ranger parts, including the intake manifold asy. The injectors, fuel rail, and wiring were different, so I had to swap those. Had to strip both engines down to the basic longblocks to get the wiring harness out, then put it all back together using as much of the new stuff as I could and the old stuff where I had to.

Back