'02 3.73 LS differential howl | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 3.73 LS differential howl

dannyb420 said:
No maybe when my warrenty is up I will be singing a different tune.... .

that is funny cause I bought my 2002 when the warranty was up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought an 02 Explorer with the 3.73 LSD and experience a low pitch humming noise about 60 mph+ (it gets higher pitched as you go faster and does *not* stop when I let off the gas). I noticed that the dealership put a newer tire on the left rear which has slightly deeper tread. Could this be causing the noise? Have people tried changing differential fluid?

luckly the only hum that I have In my 2002. is last winter when I am in 4HI and doing close to 65. few times when the road had snow on it..
luckily no other noises.

Well, it's definitely not the difference in tire size (tread depth) making the noise. I rotated the tires and now have two new tires on the rear and the old tire on the front.

I'm still getting a low pitched rumble/humming noise around 60 mph and above. Do wheel bearings make low pitched noises like this?

i'm having a lot of these same problems. i recently purchased a 2002 xls explorer. it is very loud inside.. their is a load roaring noise coming from the back, as well as some ticking noises and such.. i dont know what all it is, but something is definately wrong. i was told when i bought it that it was still under drivetrain warranty of 60,000 miles (i have 48,000 on it now). so would all these things be covered under that warranty?

My explorer is my 4th ford and now going to be my last also. It is the lack of customer service ford gives. Dealing with them is a joke . My D pillar paint was fading as other describe here on the board and I brought it to them under the 3yr/36k and they would not fix it. And there customer service line just went along with the dealer, without anyone caring to see their is a problem with there product. If I were you I wouldnt fix the howling if the truck runs, why not just sale it and get what you want.

dannyb420 said:
It is about time though that Ford is honest with their re-occuring problems, have any of you ever googled 04 explorer transmission problems? Holy crap, its a problem.

I hadn't googled it until I saw your post, so I did just now.

So far, over 90% of the complaints are for things like the speed sensors and rear diff issues. Yes, they are issues nonetheless - but in reading some of the complaints, it seems the people can't handle getting the issues resolved...they'd rather b*tch about it.

I've had to deal with the issues like rear diff clutch packs and speed sensors. They were replaced and now the 'ploder is good to go. I think they shouldn't have been issues in the first place, but I'm not going to chastize Ford either.

Rear Diff

so I have this rumble (again) in my 02 mountaineer. I had it replaced once, now it's doing it again. Ford wants $2600 to fix it. I'm not paying that for an 02 mountaineer that won't be worth that X 2 when it's done.

Is there a how to anywhere on replacing the rack and pinion gear on the rear diff? I saw someone had put in an aftermarket rear end, a locker, any recommendations from anyone on which to go with and how to do that?

so I have this rumble (again) in my 02 mountaineer. I had it replaced once, now it's doing it again. Ford wants $2600 to fix it. I'm not paying that for an 02 mountaineer that won't be worth that X 2 when it's done.

Is there a how to anywhere on replacing the rack and pinion gear on the rear diff? I saw someone had put in an aftermarket rear end, a locker, any recommendations from anyone on which to go with and how to do that?

I would suggest starting a new thread, as this one is 4 yrs old.

Also, it's a ring & pinion, rack & pinion is completely different ;)

Back