02 Brake Light Switch | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Brake Light Switch

Ressurecting an old thread... Went by this post and got a 02 Windstar switch for my 05 Explorer, weren't even Close so I went back and had them look up the part for my car and they gave me the correct one, so they must have changed styles of switches in the Explorer at some point

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ressurecting an old thread... Went by this post and got a 02 Windstar switch for my 05 Explorer, weren't even Close so I went back and had them look up the part for my car and they gave me the correct one, so they must have changed styles of switches in the Explorer at some point

Thanks for the info!!

Worked like a charm

After stressing out over a $90 Ford Dealer replacement part or a $67 AZ replacement that would require cutting and splicing connectors, I remembered all the great stuff that's hidden on this magical forum.
Not 10min after reading about the Winstar replacement part and all my problems are fixed.
For my 2002, 4x4, 6cly, Non-flex Explorer the Duralast F4862 was a direct replacement, just plug n go.

An earlier post mentioned that the only tool require was a pair of pliers, I didn't even need those; just a swift tug and the bent wire clip came right off.

"It's all fun and games until someone pokes an eye out"

Got it fixed. Went to O'reilly's and AutoZone. Both of them were calling for the switch with 5 pins for an 02 Explorer. I went ahead and got the one they listed for the Windstar since it matched up to the one that came out of the truck, and it works fine.

My 2004 XLT's brake light is staying illuminated after I release the brake pedal, and stays on until I punch the pedal with force.. I forgot to mention, on my thread, that this only happens maybe 2-3 a month. Its not a big deal.. BUT I tend use my cruise control a lot bc my commute to work is pretty much all highway. BL's staying on hinders me from using it, until the BL goes off.. Anyway, here is my thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423500

But okay what im getting at is, could this problem be switch related...???

Please & thank you, in advance, for any help;
Tyler
Murica!!!!!!.....
.....GOD bless it!!

After stressing out over a $90 Ford Dealer replacement part or a $67 AZ replacement that would require cutting and splicing connectors, I remembered all the great stuff that's hidden on this magical forum.
Not 10min after reading about the Winstar replacement part and all my problems are fixed.
For my 2002, 4x4, 6cly, Non-flex Explorer the Duralast F4862 was a direct replacement, just plug n go.

An earlier post mentioned that the only tool require was a pair of pliers, I didn't even need those; just a swift tug and the bent wire clip came right off.

"It's all fun and games until someone pokes an eye out"

Just wanted to tag you as well, since you were the most recent response. Any help?????

I have a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer with 77,500 miles. I bought it new when I retired and have always kept the SUV properly serviced. A few days ago, April 16, 2015, my cruise control would not operate, a few hours later my brake lights could not be shut off. I read a lot of Posts about Brake Light Switches in this forum and also phoned a few auto parts stores in my area. The part, A Brake Light Switch, costs between $20.00 and $66.00. Before spending any money I decided to try a recommendation by "MJP3262" which is listed in this thread. I cleaned the contacts points on my Brake Light Switch. I used a Dremel Motor tool which worked nicely. I reinstalled the Brake Light Switch and WOW, the brake lights are back to working normal. I am not yet sure about the Cruise Control. Thank you very much MJP3262.

Greetings from down-under. Having just rectified an ongoing brake lamp issue on my 2003 Explorer XLT V8 I can cover off with the latest on most of the content in this thread.

From the factory my truck had the Pollak brake pedal position switch part number YFIT-13480-AA (as pictured earlier in this thread). This part number is discontinued and I cannot find a database anywhere (even from Ford) that provides an alternate part number.

I can confirm that I have found an available, direct replacement part, identical form, fit, function, plug and play. If you are replacing the YFIT-13480-AA, the part you want is Motorcraft SW-6218 (3F2Z-13480-CB). I ordered the genuine motorcraft item from eBay for $20, link follows or alternatively just search SW-6218 and you will find one. Also lots of after-market listings such as SLS-309, F4862 that are even cheaper but I am only vouching for the SW-6218 because it's what I purchased and installed.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111284285578?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

So with the problem of finding a replacement switch for YFIT-13480-AA sorted, I installed the SW-6218 and presto, my brake lights were back.....BUT the circuit only operated for the first inch of pedal travel. Why, because the factory wires to the switch were too short and as the pedal is pressed down the wires tighten and the switch connecting pins lose contact. A closer inspection of the connector and wires revealed that 12 years of tension had left the wires and connector pins in bad shape. With the pedal depressed I found the circuit would drop in and out when I wiggled the wires. So I had an auto-electrician run new 6" longer wires and made sure the wires were tied off so that no tension was being applied to the plug connector. ALL SORTED.

The more I looked at, I began to feel a lot of people are probably going for switch replacements when the culprit may actually be the over tensioned wires. Either way the wires from the factory are a problem and if you are replacing the switch make sure you address the wiring and connector to ensure faultless operation into the future.

I'm having the same shifter / break lights not working issue.
The Pollak Switch (YFIT-13480-AA) cant be found anywhere.
I tried to look for the other "identical" items listed above but when i input my car information into all the websites, they say my car is not compatible with the replacement part. Should I try it anyways?

I did buy the CARQUEST by BWD Brake Light Switch (Part No. S37030) that is suppose to be the equivalent but Im worried I might mess up the wiring. Does anyone know if there are videos on youtube on how to remove and install this?

Heres my car info
Vehicle: 2003 Ford Explorer
Engine Base: 4.0L - 6Cyl
Drive Type: RWD
Transmission Type: Transmission 5-Automatic(5R55S)
Sub Model: XLS

I appreciate the help. Thanks! :yelexp::salute:

I'm having a brake light problem too on my 2002 Ex. You can see my writeup HERE. I also opted to go with the Windstart brake switch as it is an exact matchup to the brake switch in my Ex. Unfortunately, this didn't do a thing to help. I can hear the IVD relay click when I depress the brake pedal which tells me the brake switch is working all the way through the wiring that activates the IVD relay.

UPDATE: The IVD relay was in fact bad even though you could hear it energize when the brake pedal is depressed. Don't assume your relay is still good just because it is making a "click" sound.

I know this is a old post but I just wanted to thank BigFellor if he's still active on this site. I used his suggestion of the 02 Windsor part which matches the one I have on my 04 explorer. The new replacement switch for an 04 explorer called for a slight rewiring from the dealer, it was listed at $91 but with discount would bring it down to $68. I bought the 02 Windsor brake light switch from Autozone for $14.99 and it has a life time warranty.

Back