Brake light switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake light switch

mailman55

Reaction score
City, State
cincinnati
Year, Model & Trim Level
My daughters 2004 explorer , needs a brake light switch, picked one up today, looks nothing like what I remember as a brake light switch. Is it a difficult job to install? Thanks ,Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

You might be able to fix it without replacing it!

When my brake lights stayed on, I removed the switch, sanded down the contacts (due to buildup from arcing), and lubed the plunger. It has been working great ever since.

Check out this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=263098

The whole thing is a great read. My experience starts at post #20 and there are good pics by azdevildog0311.

If you do decide to replace it instead of repairing it, I believe the replacement switch from Ford is different and comes with a wiring harness so it's not a simple plug and play option.

I think the switch for the Windstar is a direct replacement. I will try to find the thread that explains this.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much.

Good luck. :D:thumbsup:

I had a small run in like this few weeks ago, parts stores all showed some weird switch with new wire harness. I refused to believe you were supposed to completely change the style and harness. After a loooooooooot of looking around, Ford finally found the right switch, and all the had to do was search for the adjustable pedals option somewhere, but they finally found it. It was around 60-80 bucks if i remember right, but the correct original is available.

Thanks for the help, things sure have change, used to be easy fix. Thanks again, Mark

Having trouble with setting cruise control and the brake lights staying on, Pulled switch completely out and wire brushed the contacts. Had a hell of a time putting it back in on the pin due to the plastic bushing.

I want to confirm, Does the sidewall on that plastic bushing go on the inside of the right side of the switch and the brake rod ? Or does the sidewall of the plastic bushing go up against the brake pedal lever ?

It's been so long since I've done it that I forget. I'll take some pictures today and post them up when I get home tonight.

Back