'02 Explorer jerking/surging motion while in any gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 Explorer jerking/surging motion while in any gear

MRKV

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I have a 2002 V8 Explorer that seems to have developed this problem out of nowhere. I start it up and it idles fine but as soon as I take it out of park it makes a constant jerking motion forward. This happens under any condition whenever it's in gear. Only codes showing are for right bank lean. Any ideas?

Well, my 02 likes to engage / disengage the front axle below about 30 mph, is this what you're experiencing? It quits if I select 4wd. Don't have a cure for it, but I suspect eventually it's going to destroy the clutches in the t-case, but thats kind of OK, as it has well over 200, 000 miles on it. I think it has something to do with the Wheel bearings sensing different speeds. When I bought it, I thought it was a cylinder missing occasionally, due to an EGR code. I, through research on this site, isolated the EGR code to a DPFE sensor, simple plug in, bought one on Ebay, and haven't had any more grief with EGR, but the engage /disengage prob, I haven't figured out yet.

Lean bank code is usually a vacuum leak, which could also cause you're symptom.

Back