Nothing happens in any gear? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nothing happens in any gear?

augie

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

Im stumped. I do motorbikes. Cars dont make sense to me.

I have a 99 Explorer. 250,000 miles, runs strong. Everything works well. Here's what happened- After an hour on the road, the battery is drained when I came to a stop. Im thinking....alternator. But then I try to start it, and it starts right up after a few clicks. All is good.....put it in gear (automatic) and get it out of park.....and nothing happens. Every gear is behaving like nuetral.

In park, It is parked. In D, R, 1,2.....it can roll back and forth. No gear engagement whatsoever.

PS!~ From the column to the lever on the trans is OK. I can, move the gear lever on the trans with my hand through every position.

Im lost on this one.

Input?? Thank you in advance!!:D

Augie

First place to check would be the transmission fluid level.

motorcycles or cars, they both need maintenance to keep going.

you probably do have a battery and/or an alternator problem. to know for sure get them tested. it's free at most of the auto parts stores. you also want to check/clean and, if necessary, replace your battery cables or ends. that should get your charging system back up and working properly.

as far as your transmission, start by checking your transmission fluid level. it's very possible the fluid level is too low for the transmission to work. if you add fluid, make sure to use the correct fluid for your truck (usually marked on your trans dipstick) don't overfill it and see if that gets you moving again. it may, but with 250k there's no guaranty on that...

Back