• Register Today It's free!

02 Ford Explorer Rear End Noise

cden

Reaction score
City, State
michigan city, indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xls
02 Ford Explorer stock has a clunking noise from the rear end and has been going on for about 3 years now but is getting worse. You can hear it really loud if you are driving and let off the gas right before it shifts to 2nd gear. Also if I try to drive on wet or soggy grass and it will clunk also happens in reverse. The dealer said it needs rear drive train. Then I took it to a local auto shop and he thought it is a Ball joint. I had the rear wheel bearings replaced also. Anyone had this issue? Thanks!

02 Ford Explorer stock has a clunking noise from the rear end and has been going on for about 3 years now but is getting worse. You can hear it really loud if you are driving and let off the gas right before it shifts to 2nd gear. Also if I try to drive on wet or soggy grass and it will clunk also happens in reverse. The dealer said it needs rear drive train. Then I took it to a local auto shop and he thought it is a Ball joint. I had the rear wheel bearings replaced also. Anyone had this issue? Thanks!

I doubt you will find many a person in this forum having a similar clunking noise coming from the rear end on their Explorers for 3 years and not doing something about it until now. You really should have taken care of that long ago, after you heard the first clunking sound coming from the rear end, about 2 yrs 11 months ago. Having said that, a bad ball joint will clunk when hitting bumps in the road and you should be able to hear it coming from the side or corner of the vehicle with the bad ball joint. A bad ball joint shouldn't have a sound difference when letting off of the gas, more of a bump in the road suspension sound, so you can probably rule out a bad ball joint. A bad "universal joint"(grease leaked out of joint) on the rear driveshaft could cause a clunking noise and the sound would be affected by the speed of the vehicle, getting on and off of the gas pedal. You would also hear it going in reverse as you stated. The 02's are also known for rear diff problems(bearings) and rear diff whine noises. Both u-joint and rear diff problems should be rear, center of vehicle sounds.

I get clunking sound when I hit a bump or speed hump but its both toe links & my rear upper ball joints rubber boots are torn But I'm thinking the clucking is coming from the toe links both rear tires have no play at all.

Back