'02 Mountaineer 4.0L V6 - P0305 & P0306 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 Mountaineer 4.0L V6 - P0305 & P0306

mrau92me

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Mountaineer
Vehicle info: Approx. 170k miles, new NGK spark plugs and MC wires as of about 3 mos ago, & current coil pack (from Adv Auto?) about 20k miles old. Problem log: drove a 10-min drive after a cold start with no issue (Christmas night, I think). It then sat about 5 minutes, then cranked up and it was sluggish for the 1st min of driving. Was in a hurry, gave it some throttle and it seemed to regain its power. Rainy evening, Dec. 28, wife cranked it & was idling. When I get in, CEL is on. I start driving and CEL starts blinking, but then it quits blinking. It was sluggish and seemed to surge when giving throttle and after the AT upshifted. I take it back home, change vehicles and the power improved before getting back home (approx 1.5 mile total travel). Dec. 30, drive it to nearest Adv Auto to get scanned (no driving issues, but CEL still on, no flashing). Resulting codes: P0305 & P0306 (#5 & #6 cylinder misfire). Next day, get under it & can see anti-freeze coming from somewhere in the vicinity of those cylinders (driver’s side middle & back cylinders). I also pulled #6 plug, but it looked fine (ran out of time to check #5).
My wife has been smelling a “hot” smell for few months now (though, lately it’s been smelling more like burning rubber than boiling anti-freeze). A couple months ago when I jacked the front up to replace the balljoints, some antifreeze dripped into the floor. I thought it was probly residual antifreeze that had puddled from when the leaking t-stat housing was replaced by a radiator shop back in the summer. At that time, the smell didn’t go away so I had her take it back to them in case it was something they had done. They checked the housing, only did a hose squeezing test & said it wasn’t leaking (even though I told her to have them pressure test it).

I’m afraid it might be a leaking head gasket, but it doesn't seem to be a fast leak, no white smoke noticed coming out of the tail pipe, oil looks fine, no white residue in oil fill cap…any ideas?

bump 2 at perhaps a better time of day

Back