• Register Today It's free!

02 Ranger noise when braking

dmac0923

Reaction score
City, State
Yorktown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger xlt
my 02 ranger makes a "creaking and clunking" noise while braking at low speeds. The noise sounds like its coming from the front drivers wheel and the noises are more pronounce when turning to the left.

i dont feel anything in the pedal and braking is not affected. just noises.

i disassembled, cleaned, re-lubricated the brake on that wheel, the noise is still there. pads have plenty of life, rotors are not scored or warped, all hardware is tight.

any ideas

...Something don't sound right...:scratch:...I am not familiar with your year but here is a bump for someone else to chime in..;)

my 02 ranger makes a "creaking and clunking" noise while braking at low speeds. The noise sounds like its coming from the front drivers wheel and the noises are more pronounce when turning to the left.

i dont feel anything in the pedal and braking is not affected. just noises.

i disassembled, cleaned, re-lubricated the brake on that wheel, the noise is still there. pads have plenty of life, rotors are not scored or warped, all hardware is tight.

any ideas

OK, I'll take a shot at it :)

IF a 4wd Ranger uses CV joints in the front axles, when the joint wears out you will hear all sorts of noises when you turn and brake. All 4wds use some sort of U-joint/CV-joint on the front axle to allow you to turn. I don't know how to test a CV joint, but when they are really bad you can feel the joint movement by hand.

Back