03 Exp Limited Electrical Probs

taffy.c

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Limited 4x4 4.6L
I’m having a bunch of electrical problems with my 03 Explorer V8:

1. Door Open Alarm – no amount of WD40 in the door handles will stop it.
2. Drivers Side seat position memory buttons not working
3. Automatic door locks (normally lock at about 8 mph) activate intermittently – sometimes after driving several miles
4. Drivers side electric door lock/unlock lever works when engine on but not when off
5. 2nd press on the lock button on the keyless remote causes 2 horn pulses instead of 1

Any clues if these symptoms point to a single failure point?

I also have transmission problems but the transmission shop suggested to clear up any electrical issues first.

Thanks for any insight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Taffy.C - While I'm new to this site, I believe that problem #5 is very much related to #1. I have an '02 and any time a door is open or ajar, including the hatch, mine will beep twice when setting the alarm via the remote key. Other threads I have found mention a wire under the driver's seat grounding out causing some of the other problems you describe. Several systems failed recently on mine including #2, and I suspect there is a wire or module that failed.

Snowfox,
Thanks - that was actually very helpful. I found something interesting after I read your post. If I turn down the interior light control / instrument panel adjustment knob until it is completely off every problem in my list above disappears! So there is obviously a single failure point. somewhere in the system connected with the interior lighting or the door-open problem. Maybe it is connected with the wire you mentioned under the driver's seat. I need to get in and look around there.

Thanks again - I'll get this figured out eventually.....

Best of luck to you! I just tried that and it doesn't work on mine so I guess I have either a different problem or a greater one. RRGONE mentioned the other night that the cabled wires running from the chassis into the door could be another area causing the fault. So far, all of my wires are so heavily taped I can't even tell how many wires are in the door or under the seat.

I’m having a bunch of electrical problems with my 03 Explorer V8:

1. Door Open Alarm – no amount of WD40 in the door handles will stop it.
2. Drivers Side seat position memory buttons not working
3. Automatic door locks (normally lock at about 8 mph) activate intermittently – sometimes after driving several miles
4. Drivers side electric door lock/unlock lever works when engine on but not when off
5. 2nd press on the lock button on the keyless remote causes 2 horn pulses instead of 1

Any clues if these symptoms point to a single failure point?

I also have transmission problems but the transmission shop suggested to clear up any electrical issues first.

Thanks for any insight.

All of these can be related to a failed ground wire inside the driver's door. It's been mentioned several times here - do a search. Opening the driver's door and putting a new ground in on the harness fixes all of the problems at once (if that is the problem).

How many miles on the truck?

Back