03 explorer 4.6 crown vic motor swap underway | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 explorer 4.6 crown vic motor swap underway

03explorereb

Reaction score
City, State
cuba, missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 explorer xlt
i have done several 4.0's but this is the first foray for me into the V8 world. just picked up an 03 4.6 with bad engine and bought a 4.6 pi 2v from an 03 crown vic for cheap. if anybody has done this swap and knows of any obstacles let me know. info to follow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

starting to think i am in a bad spot here because nobody has any thoughts or opinions on this.:( oh well, moving forward with this project. the original engine is out. holy extensions batman. never used so many different extensions in all my life. quite a bit of difference in complexity from the 4.0s but hey it's out so pushing forward. one note of caution is to be very careful regarding the egr pipe. it doesn't take much to tweak and break and that's exactly what happened with mine. anyways, now that they are sitting out side by side i will note the differences.
1- the most obvious, ex is aluminum block, crown vic is cast iron
2- intake and fuel delivery is different
3- front cover does appear to be different, unconfirmed on whether or not this will work per my application
4- oil pan is different. may or may not work. the cv's pan is a little deeper at the front towards the balancer leading me to believe that it will not work in a 4wd application
5- flexplates cosmetically look different but cannot confirm whether or not the cv's will work in my application. the ex's looks a little more dished out than the cv's.
6- manifolds are different. not really even close. i do like the higher perch point of the cv's on the passenger side to clearance for the motor mount nuts but i think it would be senseless to modify exhaust pipe for this perk.
7- mount point of the a/c compressor is the same.
8- motor mounts are different but you probably already figured that out
9- this particular cv engine used an external oil cooler so the filter boss is different from the ex, which it did not have an oil cooler. the angle of the filter comes forward at about 45 degrees on the ex whereas the cv's is more straight out from the boss. i think i need the one from the ex from the way it looks
10- dipsticks are different also. ex uses a longer dipstick.

more stuff to follow on this.
changeover is coming soon.

Good luck! Be sure and let us know how it turns out. Should be good info for anyone needing to replace a 4.6. What was wrong with the original 4.6? I haven't heard of many problems with them. Also, why can't you just switch over the intake and fuel hardware from the old 4.6?

thanks,
i will need it. the engine developed a knock in it. i haven't given up on it just yet but this looked to be the best alternative because i knew i would have to pull the motor anyways. original engine has about 147000 on it and the replacement is a 58000 mile police cruiser engine whose body met early retirement due to being t-boned at an intersection. the ex's fuel delivery system will work provided i swap out intakes. it is hard to tell but it looks to me like the intakes are different. they may share common components like coil packs but i haven't done a deep enough dive to see just how similar they are. it may be possible that the flexplate might work from the crown vic engine but i am unsure. to play it safe i will probably just swap it for the explorer's. much more info to follow. stay tuned.

knock sensor SOS!

ok,
hit a snag. the knock sensor for the crown vic motor is located central to the engine. the explorer as you guys already know has two on each side. plug in for the cv is different from the explorer. the question, and it might be a dumb one, is, can i stack the two sensors one on top of the other? i believe the knock sensor "feels" vibration through the bolt or am i wrong? or can i just relocate the knock sensors to a spot on the back side of the engine? or mount them to the head? has anybody come up with a solution to this? there really isn't a spot to tap the valley of the engine. or can i cut and resplice the ex's harness on to the wires of the crown vic's lone knock sensor? any thoughts on this?

The only thing I know about knock sensors is that they are precisely tuned to resonate at a specific frequency of the knocking noise. I would think that moving them around would effect how well they are able to "listen" for knocking. Don't go off of my word alone since I don't really know what I'm talking about, but I don't think moving them is safe. I would look into using the Crown Vic setup if that's what you have to do, and leave the other sensor off. Logically, if the PCM hears a knock it should pull timing either way...?

i would go ahead and leave the other one off except for the fact that the explorer's harness is a 4 wire harness (2 wires per sensor into one harness) and the crown vic's has a two wire plug. i don't know how a person would wire that where it would not throw a code. from what i have been told, the lack of either the "right kind" of resonance or any resonance at all (i.e. one that is unhooked) is enough to throw a code. i will figure something out.

03explorerb, any updates?

Back