03 explorer electrical porblems.. nothing works, | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 explorer electrical porblems.. nothing works,

j-stang

Reaction score
City, State
opelika al
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 explorer eb
hey guys i'm having some problems with the explorer. nothing works, power door locks, power seats, auto head lights, dome lights, the radio wont cut off when open door, and the key fob dont work....

i've checked fuses, ive shot wd40 in all the doors. i've been searching for other with this problem and found several that were similar but all involed a door ajar switch but my door ajar light dont come on.

any ideas on whats going??

its an eddy b. explorer if that makes a diff.

thanks,

Nothing Works?

......nothing works, power door locks, power seats, auto head lights, dome lights, the radio wont cut off when open door, and the key fob dont work....

thanks,

Does the engine run? Do ANY lights work (headlights?).

Is the battery dead?

imp

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Like imp said, start by making sure the battery is good. Then check all fuses. Fuse info is located in the owner's manual. If you don't have an owner's manual, Dead Link Removed.

I had similar electrical issues with my 02 xlt. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the delayed accessories didn't work, etc. Most recently all 4 windows stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 2 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

Hope this helps out! :D:thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Having some of the same issues with my 99 Explorer, Ford tech said in all models there is a electronic control module located behind the radio. Its known to go bad and is responsible for door locks, key fobs and dome lights. It runs about $400 + through the dealer and sometimes can be found in explorers in the junk yards (if they haven't removed them yet). I checked the my local junk yards and most of them have had them pulled and when you can find them, they want over $100 for them. I have checked for bad fuses and broken wires and haven't found any, so I just need to find a ECM, heard ebay has them for cheap. Good Luck, hope this helps!!!

Back