03 explorer struts | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 explorer struts

Technically the '02+ Explorers use a coil-over design, as a strut is a shock and coil spring mounted together in a coil-over setup that also has the role of locating and guiding the suspension hardware throughout the suspension movement designated to the shock, typically replacing the upper A-arm in an independent suspension setup. A standard coil-over setup, as our Explorers have, only controls ride height and cushions the suspension movement, leaving the suspension hardware locating and guiding to other separate hardware pieces (in our case upper and lower A-arms).

A strut is a simple and common way to refer to what our trucks have, though it is not 100% accurate.

Tom
You are absoultely correct. Amazing how "no if's, ands, or buts" is wrong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Quick-Struts

I've had the Quick Struts on now for about 6 months or so....I do say I/m not very impressed. My truck still bounces all over the road and the overall ride quality is much poorer than OEM....has anyone else had this issue? I replaced all 4 and was expecting a better ride than I had with my 120,000 mile struts...

They're coil over. They're only struts if the cartridge acts as the top suspension point. i.e. in place of an upper arm & ball joint.

Technically the '02+ Explorers use a coil-over design, as a strut is a shock and coil spring mounted together in a coil-over setup that also has the role of locating and guiding the suspension hardware throughout the suspension movement designated to the shock, typically replacing the upper A-arm in an independent suspension setup. A standard coil-over setup, as our Explorers have, only controls ride height and cushions the suspension movement, leaving the suspension hardware locating and guiding to other separate hardware pieces (in our case upper and lower A-arms).

A strut is a simple and common way to refer to what our trucks have, though it is not 100% accurate.

Tom

Yep.

I've had the Quick Struts on now for about 6 months or so....I do say I/m not very impressed. My truck still bounces all over the road and the overall ride quality is much poorer than OEM....has anyone else had this issue? I replaced all 4 and was expecting a better ride than I had with my 120,000 mile struts...

The term shock absorber is a misnomer, they only serve to dampen the harmonic motion of the springs.

They won't make your truck ride any harder or softer.

Quick struts

I Have a 03 Eddie Bauer. 4.0

I just bought 4 new QUICK STRUTS. PARTS; 550.00

INSTALL; 150.00.

O3 HAS STRUTS

Back