03 explorer struts | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 explorer struts

Technically the '02+ Explorers use a coil-over design, as a strut is a shock and coil spring mounted together in a coil-over setup that also has the role of locating and guiding the suspension hardware throughout the suspension movement designated to the shock, typically replacing the upper A-arm in an independent suspension setup. A standard coil-over setup, as our Explorers have, only controls ride height and cushions the suspension movement, leaving the suspension hardware locating and guiding to other separate hardware pieces (in our case upper and lower A-arms).

A strut is a simple and common way to refer to what our trucks have, though it is not 100% accurate.

Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have some pictures of the Monroe replacement parts on our site, looks like the front and rear both have spring perches built in.
Front
Rear

By looking at them, I'd call them struts and apparently so would your mechanic, but as squirrelmaster pointed out sometimes appearances are deceiving and that wouldn't be completely accurate.

The reason retailers will put shock/strut on part description is because the manufacturer doesn't make any distinction in the parts descriptions they send to us. They use the same part numbering scheme for shocks and struts and with hundreds or thousands of different parts on the site, sometimes it's just not possible to go through and change each individual part. It can be confusing, especially in a case like the 02-03 Explorer where the Sport, which most people would assume is just a shortened version of the Explorer, uses shocks and the four-door uses struts.

This may not be too reassuring, but the manufacturers do know what they're doing and any good retailer will stand behind the part, so if you order based on the fitment guaranteed on web site and it turns out to be wrong, you'll be able to exchange it for the correct one.

Got my truck back and the Monroe quick struts make a nice difference. Went with quick strut because I'm planning on keeping this ex for a while so I figured I better replace the springs while he was at it. I'm going to do the backs eventually as well. Anyone ever installed the quick struts before? I couldn't imagine it being too difficult since you don't have to mess with a compressor. Any advice on this anyone?

I just put all 4 KYB GR2's on my 04 today. The rears are a bit more involved as I had to take the lower control arm loose from the knuckle, then loosen the rear control arm to frame bolt to get the strut out.
The top strut nuts are easy provided you have a ratchet wrench, preferably with a swivel head. The fronts were not bad however I did not get a new nut with mine and the old nut did not fit. After buying new nuts, I boogered the threads on one of them and had to die some new threads onto it to fit the factory nut. I used two nuts just because, made me feel better.
The fronts were only hard because I had to pry the strut upwards to match the hole and then drill the bolt in. On the top, make sure you align the top 2 close together studs with the long side of the strut bottom mount as it will not rotate after assembly like the rear will. It will make sense when you see it. All in all a straightforward job. about 3 hours. I used a wall mount spring compressor and that was the easy part.

The KYB's do ride more firm than stock, but way better than a worn out strut. Mine would compress very fast and rebound very slow making it ride like garbage. It didnt float like a typical worn out strut. I bet over half of the Explorers out there have worn out struts and don't know it.....

Mine would compress very fast and rebound very slow making it ride like garbage. It didnt float like a typical worn out strut. I bet over half of the Explorers out there have worn out struts and don't know it.....

x2 when if first got my truck and about at 20k i could feel every crack in the road. I tried to warranty it out but they said its normal they all do it northing's wrong. . .well got a deal on OEM all the way around, although it rode stiffer it was much better. After they where removed, i checked them out and i could push two down by hand and there was spot with no resistance. I'm guessing thats where the shock piston spent most of its time. Typical bumper test indicated that they where fine. . .Well invested as the last 50k its been a nice ride.

Most dealers tell you they are good. My dads 02 had broken rear springs, and I told him to get new struts while he is at it. The dealership did his springs but told him unless his struts were leaking they were not bad. They missed out on some money and dads explorer still rides like poo.

Monroe Quick-Strut?

I believe it's time to replace the struts on my 2003 - I have 120k mi. on it now and there is some "bounce" on the highway that's noticable. I have looked fo OEM Struts -replace both the springs and shocks - and it looks like $1k in parts. That's out of my price range. 2 questions -

DO the springs need to be replaced with the new struts? I have one newer spring (warranty replacement at 97k) and the rest are original.

I also see the Monroe Quick Struts have the shocks/springs in one piece - assuming that it's easiest to replace. I am looking for a nice ride quality - mostly highway with little to no off road travel. I work in Public Safety, so it goes out in all weather. Are the Monroes a good option for what I am looking for?

How easy would these be to replace myself? I have not found an online tutorial....I can do brakes, I can do most minor to moderate work myself - just have never attempted something of this nature.

Thanks,

Jim

The quick struts are the way to go. If you are mechanically inclined that you can do this job, you may need a partner to help you get the the struts in and out.

I feel the only way to go is with Monroe quick struts. I have seen 03's with broken rear springs. The quick strut comes all assembled so no need to compress springs etc. Most dealers even use them. More expensive but easy and new springs too all corrrectly assembled with new parts and sensomatic shocks. (at least for the rears)

Tutorial??

I decided to go with the Quick Struts for front and back...it's easy and with the buy 3, get one free at Rock Auto it's only about 1/2 the cost of OEM parts. Is there an online tutorial on changing the front and rears online? I didn't find it on here, but maybe my search was errant. Secondly, when I have the fronts off, what should I inspect on the front end? I figure it may be easier to work on all of it at the same time...just don't know how to inspect the front end parts. Thanks!

-Jim

mine has spring over struts, there struts and I have an 03. Look at monroe qucick struts

OK, planning on changing them tomorrow....do I need any special tools? Also....how do I remove the rear lower control arm to do the swap? I do have the Haynes manual, but I do know that a lot of steps are left out of the manual.

While I am looking through the front end, any pointers as to what to look for in the front end to see if it needs more work...like ball joints, bushings, bearings?

Have a 03 4.0 flex xlt 4x4. My new mechanic is telling me that my truck has 04 parts on it from the factory. His computer is showing that I should have shocks but I have struts and he is showing no replacement parts except when he types in 04 rather than 03. Sound familiar to anyone? Anyone have an explanation?

his computer is wrong, since 02 all ex's have 4 struts and zero shocks. get a new mechanic.

Ugh...not good...

Well, I made the attempt to get them all done this weekend and could only get the passenger front strut done before the day was done. So far, the pitfalls I have faced - the nuts on the top of the stabilizer bar linkage is rusted/frozen in place. No luck with the PB Blaster, and it made swapping the strut more of a challenge. Thanks t a floor jack and some scrap wood, it was finally done.

Now I'm stuck on the driver's side. Same issue - stabilizer bar nut (top) frozen in place (a little too much rust), and the main bolt for the strut is on too tight and won't loosen. I don't have air tools, and had no trouble on the passenger side. I am DREADING the rears to change out....

Any advice???

Well, I made the attempt to get them all done this weekend and could only get the passenger front strut done before the day was done. So far, the pitfalls I have faced - the nuts on the top of the stabilizer bar linkage is rusted/frozen in place. No luck with the PB Blaster, and it made swapping the strut more of a challenge. Thanks t a floor jack and some scrap wood, it was finally done.

Now I'm stuck on the driver's side. Same issue - stabilizer bar nut (top) frozen in place (a little too much rust), and the main bolt for the strut is on too tight and won't loosen. I don't have air tools, and had no trouble on the passenger side. I am DREADING the rears to change out....

Any advice???

I forgot about the sway bar links. I replaced mine when I bought the truck, pass. side was broken so I ordered two new ones from rock - they were pretty cheap. I wouldn't hesitate to saw them off and replace them, mine were physically rust bonded to the sleeve. As far as the lower strut nut, I wouldn't even attempt it without my electric impact. If you have a rental place nearby it is worth the 20 bucks, and same with the rears. I bought a cheap one from harbor freight just for this job, ended up cheaper than renting and I've used it for other things.

Help!!

I tried to take the other bolt off that had been stuck on - air impact wrench was not effective, and finally got the bolt to turn a little with a wrench and pipe. I found that the strut lower bolt is bent and won't come off. I'm going to have to have it torched off. I need to know if there is any aftermarket parts for the lower bolt and the special nut for it or are they only factory parts? I've had difficulty finding parts listings for those online.

Thanks,
Jim

I tried to take the other bolt off that had been stuck on - air impact wrench was not effective, and finally got the bolt to turn a little with a wrench and pipe. I found that the strut lower bolt is bent and won't come off. I'm going to have to have it torched off. I need to know if there is any aftermarket parts for the lower bolt and the special nut for it or are they only factory parts? I've had difficulty finding parts listings for those online.

Thanks,
Jim

I found the bolt and nut online. The flag nut was listed at 15.00, and the bolt at 25.00. You may be able to do better searching around. I'm wondering how the bolt was bent? That is a pretty stout bolt.

I will search some more...where was the site that had the bolt and flag nut? I am guessing the damage may have come during an accident several years ago - I was hit square on the passenger side and my l drivers wheel hit another car's tire....may have been just enough to warp it, since I can't think of any other impact that could cause it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm pretty new here, so don't know about referencing links but I looked it up on fordparts.com and found the parts. Hope this helps.
Take a look through the catalog and I'm sure you will locate it.

Back