• Register Today It's free!

03 explorer struts

nugsta25

Reaction score
City, State
evansville, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer XLT
Have a 03 4.0 flex xlt 4x4. My new mechanic is telling me that my truck has 04 parts on it from the factory. His computer is showing that I should have shocks but I have struts and he is showing no replacement parts except when he types in 04 rather than 03. Sound familiar to anyone? Anyone have an explanation?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if the coil spring is around the shock its a strut. mine is an 04 and it has coil over strut. i may be wrong but thats what i understand.

He said that the coil springs are over the shocks on an 03 as well. The shocks look like they're struts until you disassemble the assembly apparently???? I'm totally confused

They're shot. Leaking and just need replacing. Autozone calls the shock/struts!!! So what do I need. Anyone??

just whatever the computer calls for. they wont give u the wrong thing

I installed a set of KYB GR2s that I got off of Ebay (cheaper than any on-line resources). This is on an 03 XLT 2WD. Took about 3 hours to install in my garage with air tools.

They are definitely struts.

Why does autozone only offer shock replacements?

I installed a set of KYB GR2s that I got off of Ebay (cheaper than any on-line resources). This is on an 03 XLT 2WD. Took about 3 hours to install in my garage with air tools.

They are definitely struts.

Did those struts make a difference in handling? I'm about to get the anti roll bar kit front and rear from eibach. I have to get the camber kits for front and back. I'm wondering if changin to different struts would make a difference.

If you have to decompress the spring body on a "loaded" assembly, it's a strut. They are struts, not shocks. I can't explain why the database administrator and web editor put "shock/strut" on their website...but they are struts, not shocks.

were some 03 models built with shocks? ones built in 02 early 03?

mine is a 02 limited 4x4 and has struts all teh way around it

were some 03 models built with shocks? ones built in 02 early 03?

No, from 2002 to present, all Explorers utilize an independent front and rear suspension, which is associated with a strut suspension. Earlier Explorer's used shocks, especially those that have leaf spring rear ends (2001 and below).

The only exception to all of that is the SportTrac, which is not covered in this forum. They use a completely different suspension setup.

Are the replacements that autozone offer wrong? They're like 30 bucks?! Monroes go for no less than $90 or so?!

Are the replacements that autozone offer wrong? They're like 30 bucks?! Monroes go for no less than $90 or so?!

Yes, that is correct. Get off the AutoZone reference for just a second, and look at some other part houses online. Here's a link to Advance Auto for an 03 Explorer struts:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...Springs_-49997344_-49997327_10151_10051_-1___

So let me reiterate, your 2003 Explorer has struts, not shocks. Shocks were not put on ANY 3rd generation Explorer, ever...no ifs and's or buts.

If your mechanic is wanting to sell you shocks, and is telling you that you have shocks...you either don't have a 03 Explorer, or you need to get a new wrench, ASAP.

P.S. You can get the same Monroe struts offered on the Advance Auto site, for about $68 each from rockauto.com which also lists nothing but struts, for the suspension component on 2003 Explorer's. A lot of people use Rockauto.com from here, I've had no bad experiences with them either.

I'm guessing this guys parts source is just wrong like the zones source is wrong. Thanks for the help guys. Got some monroe quick struts and getting them put in tommorrow.

I'm guessing this guys parts source is just wrong like the zones source is wrong. Thanks for the help guys. Got some monroe quick struts and getting them put in tommorrow.

Wouldn't be the first time a parts store had something listed incorrectly! I think we've all been there before :p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did those struts make a difference in handling? I'm about to get the anti roll bar kit front and rear from eibach. I have to get the camber kits for front and back. I'm wondering if changin to different struts would make a difference.

Well, coming from 65k mile struts, sure, it made a huge difference. They do ride more firm than stock, but the damping appears to be very well matched to the stock springs.

My wife drives this daily, and she doesn't mind the ride and has commented that it rides much better than before.

Back