03 ford explorer a/c problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 ford explorer a/c problems

I4340james

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer
Ok so the issue I'm having is that my AC will blow out of all of my vents no matter what setting it is on, for example if I set it on the floor it'll still blow out the dash and the vents, I'm not entirely sure where to start checking to find the problem, any ideas what this could be

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most of the air flaps are controlled by vacuum lines under the passenger side of the dashboard but there is a motor right by the driver's right foot that controls an air flap.

The door for defrost/front vents breaks at the vacuum actuator. You can view it via the glovebox opening while looking up toward the stereo.

Turn knob from vent to defrost and you'll see the actuator extend/retract. Only it won't be attached to anything.

The door for defrost/front vents breaks at the vacuum actuator. You can view it via the glovebox opening while looking up toward the stereo.

Turn know from vent to defrost and you'll see the actuator extend/retract. Only it won't be attached to anything.

Sorry for the late response my brother was borrowing my explorer, but that's absolutely correct, what's the part called, or will I have to replace the actuator too? I tired looking on rockauto but I can't seem to figure out what the part would be called

You can get new actuators from Ford as well as the broken piece. The flap comes as part of the assembly and was $200 or so last I checked. Have to remove the dash to fix it.

If you search the forum you'll find threads where others have been creative in their fixes.

You can get new actuators from Ford as well as the broken piece. The flap comes as part of the assembly and was $200 or so last I checked. Have to remove the dash to fix it.

If you search the forum you'll find threads where others have been creative in their fixes.

Mine has been running on a wire tie for at least three years. It doesn't completely stop the flow to the defroster vents when I switch to the panel, but I can live with that.

This is one of the threads #4 referred to:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/no-airflow-from-dash-vents.249624/

Back