03 Mounty passenger side valve cover HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 Mounty passenger side valve cover HELP

EskimoEddie

Reaction score
City, State
SW Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Eddie Bauer EX
So, my buddy's 2003 Mounty has a cracked valve cover, he said it was running rough and Check Engine Light came on, opened the hood when he got to a gas station and found that the rear corner(near the firewall) of the valve cover had a 3 inch hole in it. The engine turns over and the timing chain moves, so I need to figure out what went wrong.

Do we have to pull the engine? or can we just replace the valve cover and see what else breaks? Any help would be great!! Also does the intake manifold have to off?

There was oil in the engine so that wouldn't be the cause, would a timing chain guide cause that? If we have to replace the timing chain, would we have to do the driver's side as well? Thanks for any tips anybody would have!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pull the valve cover, sounds like a rocker roller was upchucked through the cover.

Which engine is in there?

Which engine is in there?

4.0 V6

From what I've read here, it's not something I'd want to tackle. Thanks for all that replied. If it were something easy like just replacing the cover, I'd do it, but it sounds like there's more to the issue than just a broken valve cover.

Four hour job at the dealer to have the cracked valve cover replaced on the V6. I am having one replaced as I write this. 147,000 miles on an 03 Explorer. Getting a faulty coil pack replaced too, along with spark plugs (originals) and wires, PCV and fuel filter, plus an axle seal.

4.0 V6

From what I've read here, it's not something I'd want to tackle. Thanks for all that replied. If it were something easy like just replacing the cover, I'd do it, but it sounds like there's more to the issue than just a broken valve cover.

The valve covers crack because the rear timing chain guides break and the pieces get caught between cover and cam.

Bingo! They called me back and said the exact same thing! Now they have to pull the engine to access the rear chain. Sheesh! All over a piece of plastic! BTW they quoted 14.9 hours to remove and reinstall the engine alone.

The valve covers crack because the rear timing chain guides break and the pieces get caught between cover and cam.

Back