'03 P0720 and no Speedo

RVJ

Reaction score
City, State
San Juan, PR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL / wife's '03 XLT
Hi to all:
I just had my wife's '03 tranny repaired recently, and after reinstalling, I now got a P0720, OSS error, Flashing O/D, and no speedometer reading at all.
Already replaced the OSS ( the rear-most sensor) with a new Ford one, and pulled the entire wire harness going to the transmission to check the connector/ cabling/ pin-to-pin going to the OSS . It measures around 400 ohms( analog meter) at the PCM plug face pins...I don't see any bent pins...
Questions : this SUV have been sitting here for a few months, will there be a need for a re-flash, or reset, with other than a simple scanner tool I got..? or should I be looking at a VSS error instead??
I'm at a loss already...and the wife is driving a puny Hyundai to work...!!
HELP!! any ideas?? I must be missing something here...have spent a few hours already searching the forum, out of ideas.
Thanks guys
Ricardo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Quick question: after you replaced the Output Shaft Speed Sensor did you disconnect the battery for 20 minutes or so to reset the computer. I'm shooting in the dark here. :dunno::shoot:

I believe didn't....have been doing most of the changes with power off, batt disconnected, but replacement of the OSS probably took less than 20 mins...
Keep at it,pls... !
Ricardo

Oh well, It seems the tranny is coming back down...

I don't see any teeth thru the OSS sensor mounting hole; I'm told by another trans guy, he's made that mistake before: the Park gear is backwards, no teeth sensing to the OSS.

And my own '96 tranny broke the converter, sounded like it imploded. Took it all down during the weekend; converter is locked, rattles inside, and the pan is full of magnetic grit.

not fun at all.
Ricardo

Oh well, It seems the tranny is coming back down...

I don't see any teeth thru the OSS sensor mounting hole; I'm told by another trans guy, he's made that mistake before: the Park gear is backwards, no teeth sensing to the OSS.

And my own '96 tranny broke the converter, sounded like it imploded. Took it all down during the weekend; converter is locked, rattles inside, and the pan is full of magnetic grit.

not fun at all.
Ricardo

Sorry to hear that.

Update: got the tranny back from the shop, put it back, all is well and running..
No more errors, no leaks, no noises...
Wife is happy.!

Now all I need is to get my '96 up and running again...but that's for another thread and time, I guess...
Ricardo

Back