03 Transmission - Rebuild or replace?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 Transmission - Rebuild or replace??

taffy.c

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Limited 4x4 4.6L
Hi there,
The transmission in my 03 4.6L Exp (100K miles) is in bad shape and I need to do something soon. I took it to my Ford dealer and they ran the codes and told me that there was something serious going on - missing 3rd gear completely amongst other things. The next step they told me was to spend about $400 to open up the transmission and continue the diagnosis.

I then went to Kennedy transmissions in Minneapolis. They test-drove and also said there was something serious and that a rebuild was required. They said that they can't give a final price until they drop out the transmission and take a look at the work required, but estimated between $2,200 and $2,800. I felt a lot more confident in the people at this shop than I did at the Ford dealership.

A friend who is a mechanic suggested a 3rd option - purchase a transmission from a bone-yard and pay him $300-$400 to do the replacement. I've looked at car-part.com and a couple of other sites and it looks like I can pick up a transmission with less than 40K miles for $800 - $1,000. That would make the entire job around $1,200 - $1,400.

The risk in the last approach is pretty clear - what if the replacement is a dud? But then even if I had to do it twice I'm still probably no worse off than the re-build price.

Anyway - I'd like your advice on which is the best path to take. I've read so many reports of problems with these transmissions that I'm a bit nervous that a used one with even low miles could have problems. But then I've also read of problems with re-builds too. Or should I get a re-manufactured Ford transmission? What would you do??

Thanks ... TC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rebuild it before it gets worse and costs more money.....not at dealership or mr.transmission....do some looking around. With a years warranty at least you'll have piece of mind for a year....that's what I would do

Welcome to this forum! What codes do you have? How many miles are on the vehicle? Some problems are related to solenoids, wiring harnesses, solenoid blocks, valve body gaskets, and loose bolts. A rebuild isn't always necessary.

Thanks for the welcome.

The vehicle has just over 100K miles and about 25K of that was towing a 4,000 lb travel trailer.

The diagnosis from Ford was: "OK for Codes. Has P0733. No 3rd. Fluid OK. On Road test trans has numerous shift and engagement issues, needs replacement or OH. Hot OK at this time"

My experience has been:

1. The "Check Trans" light and flashing "OD" lights have come on 3 times in the last month.

2. Takes several seconds to engage in R or D after shifting

3. Very often there are quite loud "clunks" as it down-shifts.

4. Sometimes there is vibration as a gear engages

5. Sometimes the shifts from 2-3-4 are very delayed.

It feels pretty bad.

TC

Has it been in for any transmission service in the last 100K? Not sure about an ’03 but for my '04 V8 5R55W/S I had a recall at 15k as the factory filled it with the wrong fluid Mercon IV and had to add an additive to make it MerconV and they also re-programmed it (flashed it). It shifted a little different but there was nothing really wrong either. It sounds like there may more than one thing wrong with yours. What you can try (although you might be wasting $$$ if a rebuild is necessary) is to do basic trans service, replace the filter and refill with new correct fluid and have it re-programmed at the dealer. Not sure of the cost but it should be a lot less the $1k. Someone here did himself if you can find the post.
Jim

BB - Its the 5 speed.

jr - I know that the trans has had Mercon V the whole life. I guess I'm reluctant to spend any money other than rebuild/replace right now coz I think I am probably throwing $$ away.

Most reputable yards will offer an extended warranty that will pay labor for the duration of the warranty. If it cost you an extra couple hundred bucks to purchase this type of warranty on a used one, it's still considerably less than a rebuild, and in my experience, a good low-mileage used tranny that's been "unmolested" by a rebuilder that may or may not know exactly everything that's going on with this particular tranny, is a better choice than spending the extra money to get it rebuilt and have potential problems that a shop could try to skate around saying it wasn't their fault, etc.

The only time I'll send a tranny out for a rebuild is when it can't be found used.

Back