Help with a 02/03 Transmission

racprops

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4.6 4WD
So ran into a fun problem.

My 03 4.6 4WD XLT needs it transmission rebuilt.

No major problem.

Until they tried ordering a new Solenoid pack, seems my Explorer has a newer 5R55S but it is a 02/03 model and takes a Solenoid pack # 1L22-7G391-AE or AG, the AG is the newer version.

Al is a sharp mechanic and found that the model of Solenoid packs more or less 02 to 03 was another of Ford’s short term parts and that the newer Solenoid packs will not work correctly in some 30% of the trucks they are put into.

According to deep data there can be a minor disconnection between the Solenoid pack and the trucks PCM.

The BIG problem is Ford is no longer making this Solenoid pack, so it is either run a used on or a rebuilt one.

OR get a newer version and swap in a matching PCM.

This is not a big deal BUT looking up a 2004 Explorer we came up with 9 version/models:

So can anyone tell us what these PCMs go to or what features they operate.

Funny as Ford itself list replacement PCMs to cover a wide range of models…

Rich

04 PCMs.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would go to your local JY and find one close and what you need.youve got the 5r55s right?

There is a 70% chance the new solenoid will work with your current pcm. I'd try changing just the solenoid first, if that doesn't work then search for a pcm that will work.

There is a 70% chance the new solenoid will work with your current pcm. I'd try changing just the solenoid first, if that doesn't work then search for a pcm that will work.

My transmission mechanic Al is concerned that IF it is not a match it could cause some damage or extra wear if there is a mismatch.

He would rather reopen the transmission and do the replacement when we can locate a new pack or upgrade to the newer pack and a PCM.

Mast shops would throw in the newer pack and hope for it being one of the 70% OR that the transmission lasts beyond their warrantee.

Or the car is involved in a wreak or suffers a engine failure...anything the lets them off the hook.

Rich

New old stock solenoids are available on ebay. I question why ford would supersede a part with one that doesn't work for that application. I can't find any complaints or known issues from people using the newer solenoid pack in the 02/03 transmissions. I'm not doubting what you were told, just wondering why nobody is talking about it.

I will be contacting the transmission guru who told Al that info.

I believe have no other way to go, they just take the risk, after all there is some risk to any repair. A certain amount of new part or rebuilt parts will fail. It is part of the job.

Most shops would throw in the newer pack and hope for it being one of the 70% OR that the transmission lasts beyond their warrantee.

Or the car is involved in a wreak or suffers a engine failure...or sold and any warrantee is to the owner who paid...anything the lets them off the hook.

So ran into a fun problem.

My 03 4.6 4WD XLT needs it transmission rebuilt.

No major problem.

Until they tried ordering a new Solenoid pack, seems my Explorer has a newer 5R55S but it is a 02/03 model and takes a Solenoid pack # 1L22-7G391-AE or AG, the AG is the newer version.

Al is a sharp mechanic and found that the model of Solenoid packs more or less 02 to 03 was another of Ford’s short term parts and that the newer Solenoid packs will not work correctly in some 30% of the trucks they are put into.

According to deep data there can be a minor disconnection between the Solenoid pack and the trucks PCM.

The BIG problem is Ford is no longer making this Solenoid pack, so it is either run a used on or a rebuilt one.

OR get a newer version and swap in a matching PCM.

Latest info. All transmission rebuilders be warned:

When rebuilding a 5R55s in a Ford Explorer, (or any other Fords with a 5R55S) check the Vin number for build date. IF before September 03 you will find the Solenoid pack # 1L22-7G391-AE or AG, is obsolete and there are NO more to be found for these early models made before September 03. You stand a 30% chance of problems and or outright failure.

The only known way to do it right is to find a PCM matching the car/truck you’re working on. or as James Gene John said: "If it were me I would get a junk yard PCM from Car/ Explorer that has the new solenoid pack style that you can get. Then buy a new solenoid pack for my rebuild. As for how, to know if it is the right one pull the pan on the donor car and check what pack it has. Tranny pans are easy to pull. Probably look for an (Late post September 03) 04/05. Good luck!"

One other idea is to run the Vin number and find a site that gives the build sheet which can include the build date down to day, month, year.

Rich

This would have been the motivating factor for me to swap a 6R80 in.

There are mixed reviews on them...plus you face the same problem hooking up a good PCM to run it...might be best to just buy a 06 up.

Back