03 V8 sounds like a diesel | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 V8 sounds like a diesel

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you guys mean when you say - it goes away when it locks up? Mine makes the rattle sound when it is idle and when I press the accelerator, usually when I am around 2500 RPM.
I crawled under it yesterday to listen to it and the sound is coming from directly beneath the motor. I have an appointment with a Ford place this week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The torque converter will lock up, usually in high gear, the TQ will no longer slip, creating a more or less direct connection between the engine and transmission. In low gears and low revs the TQ slips a small amount. This is when I believe I hear the noise.

Yeah, I hear mine at idle and in low gears and up until 2500 rpm or so. On the interstate it seems to go away.

Thats bullshit

Yeah, I hear mine at idle and in low gears and up until 2500 rpm or so. On the interstate it seems to go away.

Thats when the torque converter is locking up (on the interstate) whenever you drive at like >=50MPH your TC locks up. (which is a good thing)

But anyway, Being a fan of diesel engines, hearing a Gasser running like a diesel would be a sight for sore eyes, never seen that EVER happen.

I suggest you get that TC looked at, ASAP. It could also be the timing chain, theres a TSB out for the V8's IIRC, that says the timing chain will rattle. (possibly resembling the sound of a diesel.)

That sound is not normal. Get it checked by people with actual brains. :thumbsup:

Good luck!!!

if they(dealership where the truck was purchased) still fail in resolving the issue, try exploring your local lemon laws.

I also noticed that it is hard to shift from dive to park. I have to make two attempts almost every time in order to get it into park. Could this be a related problem you think?

I also noticed that it is hard to shift from dive to park. I have to make two attempts almost every time in order to get it into park. Could this be a related problem you think?

my 03 v8 is doing the same thing, I haven’t noticed performance being hampered, if it gets louder then ill do something, as far as having a hard time shifting into reverse and drive it sounds like you have a problem vehicle, I would just return it. Also contact the finance company you worked with and inform them as well, that way it isn’t your word against fords, you can also create a record with ford consumer relations, 800-392-3673.

I have heard of valve train noises coming from the driver’s side with the door open, you cant hear anything under the hood.

Funny to mention, ford tech told me my "diesel noise" was a characteristic of the exhaust. Take the thing back and buy a Honda pilot. Lol

Last week I had a van come in and the TQ was making a ticking noise. I told him lets change the fluid and hope for the best...Pluse I wanted to take a look inside

After the change the noise stopped and hasnt came back yet

My 2002 limited had the same experience with this noisey rattle which sounded very much like an exhaust bracket rattling, especially loud when the noise could reverberate of surrounding walls/objects. Noticed it at about 70,000 kms (50,000 mls). Ford Dealer where it was purchased couldn,t locate problem during scheduled sevicing(more likely couldn,t be bothered) took vehicle to second dealer who identified the problem straight away as faulty TC and arranged for replacement to be fitted at a later date when shipment arrived in Australia. Replaced under warrenty.No more rattles. Dealer indicated that it was the 5th one replaced. Quiet a high number for one dealer when you consider the small number of these vehicles sold in Australia.

So did you get the problem fixed? I'm sure everyone would like a follow up :)

Hello all I just joined today. I have an 05 4.6L V8 which I bought a week ago. It has 31,000 miles. I just noticed the sound that the original poster is talking about. Its barely audible but it does make it sound like a diesel engine. And it sounds like its coming from where the TC is at. After reading all the posts I'm now worried there might be something wrong with MY truck.

The 2v 4.6L does have issues with hydraulic tappets sticking & hydraulic tensioners on timing guides breaking the seal behind them starving them for oil, it sometimes sounds like a diesel engine. Make sure you are running 5w20.

I have the same noise on my 02 V8 4.6. Replaced the TC and Cat and the noise remains. Also removed the belt and the noise remains.
Only comfort now is knowing I am not alone, but there has to be an answer to this

I had the transmission flushed and the filter replaced at 90000 miles, sound gone. Ford doesn't recommend trans service until 150000 miles unless there is a visible leak. Seems a little long to run the same fluid, and with no dipstick you can't tell the condition of the fluid.

I had the transmission flushed and the filter replaced at 90000 miles, sound gone. Ford doesn't recommend trans service until 150000 miles unless there is a visible leak. Seems a little long to run the same fluid, and with no dipstick you can't tell the condition of the fluid.

Ford says that so at 100-150000 miles you can pay them to rebuild it, depending on what you use the vehicle for & your climate would help determine the need for a flush, I typically don't see many transmissions make it much past 85K miles before having some sort of issue. I would highly recommend not going over 50K miles between service, especially if towing, & make sure to put Mercon V in there & do it on a transmission flush machine, dropping the pan is not going to get enough old fluid out to make a clean flush.

Back