• Register Today It's free!

03 XLT a/c issue..

Oxygen

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
i bought my 03 XLT back in march, didn't really test the A/C since it was 40 degrees out... so once summer came, i turned it on, and nothing... the A/C button light comes on, but the compressor does not kick on at all....

i have the rear air option too, so i do believe that it calls for 56 oz. of the R134a... i tried adding 3 12 oz cans, and a 22 oz ounce can... the compressor did start to move a little then it had stopped... i tried tapping on it the front clutch plate too and nothing...

i do know the engine on my 03 xlt was taken out because it had the death rattle issue with the timing chain...

do you guys think it's just a recharging issue since i am pretty sure all the freon leaked out when they took out the engine? or could it be something more serious? but like i said, the compressor did start to kick on...

the 22 oz can came with a pressure reader, and i think i was only hitting around 30 psi when i was adding that can in....

any thoughts? suggestions? i have already dropped $76 or so in this R134a stuff & the can of stop leak and still nothing from the A/C....

i also tried a smaller 3 oz can of the a/c stop & leak protector before i started to add the cans of the R134a, but i didn't see any red dye coming from anywhere showing a leak...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone?

no one? should i just take it to someone?

bump... anyone?

Take it to an AC shop. They can pressure test your system and make sure your system doesn't have leaks, and charge it for pretty cheap. They will need to evacuate the system because if air has gotten in, it will jack stuff up.
I would not recommend anyone do their own AC service without having AC service machinery.

It is highly unlikely you only need a charge. An engine can usually be removed without discharging the AC system. It is easy for a used car seller to say "it just needs charged" because technically the system is empty, but it will need parts replaced to fix leaks they don't tell you about. Or a compressor may be bad. Depending on whether the compressor just leaks or has chewed itself up, it may have spread debris through the whole AC system requiring replacement parts and flushing the system.

To avoid getting screwed by a shop, tell them just to test the system and if there are no leaks and it's all good, charge it up. Not too expensive usually.

If they say it won't hold pressure, they should know where it's leaking. Some shops can repair your AC lines. If not, or you have a leak in some other part, or a bad compressor, buy your own parts and install what you can yourself before returning to the AC shop. Don't ever buy used AC parts. If cost is an issue, many parts are cheaper online. A $5 orifice tube may not be worth shipping, but if you need a new compressor, they can be half as cheap online in many cases. Remanufactured (rebuilt) compressors are fine by the way.

Let us know how it goes. Over much time and several cars I've learned a little about AC work. :)

EDIT: Also, when a shop does the actual AC charge, make sure they put leak detection dye in the system. Then if there's a leak, you can find out where it is. They should warranty their job as well. If you install a part yourself they cannot guarantee it, but if it's a new good quality part it'll be fine.

thanks for the help! the guy i purchased it from has a mechanic he goes to, i might ask him if his mechanic does A/C work, if not, off to an A/C shop i guess!

sucks i wasted $76 already trying to charge it up myself and the leak dye stuff too, but i didn't see any leaks where the dye stuff could come out... unless i didn't look hard enough ... an A/C diagram would help me look where maybe i didn't look the first time running the dye through the system...

i will keep you posted!

Back