• Register Today It's free!

03 XLT Broken Drivers Door Handle

03Explo20

Reaction score
City, State
Jonestown, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
Well, went to open the door to go to work this morning in -9 weather and "snap" went the hinge part of the door handle. I can still get in using the handle but it is hanging loose on the hinge side.

Will this handle change out easily? I've seen some videos on Youtube but they were from the passenger side. The only difference I see is with the lock mechanism. That should be anchored in the door frame and not come loose when the handle is removed, right? The handle should just sit right over the mechanism, correct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had one break a while ago. Both sides are the same, but opposite hand, of course. Easy enough, but be careful to not scratch the paint when you put the new handle in place.

scubanero, my question is with the lock cylinder on the drivers side. Will I need to completely remove that for the install or is that connected to the door frame and the handle just sits over it? I'm concerned about having to remove the cylinder, etc.

I went against my better judgement and ordered a cheap handle from eBay for $15.90. Tried installing it today and the mounting screw that holds the key lock cylinder is about a 1/2" too short preventing the nut from going back on!

I had to reinstall the damaged handle and order the Dorman from RockAuto.

I guess the "you get what you pay for" analogy is the truth here on this one! :)

I went against my better judgement and ordered a cheap handle from eBay for $15.90. Tried installing it today and the mounting screw that holds the key lock cylinder is about a 1/2" too short preventing the nut from going back on!

I had to reinstall the damaged handle and order the Dorman from RockAuto.

I guess the "you get what you pay for" analogy is the truth here on this one! :)
It happens. We aren't made of money do sometimes your wallet gets in the way of better judgment. Good to see you are getting the good one thought can you return the cheapo? After all it didn't work as advertised.

Back