• Register Today It's free!

'04 battery and alt change.

04trac

Reaction score
City, State
Tallahassee, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac XLT
alright, so i think thats the source of my starting issue since it will act like theres not even a battery attatched but as soon as you jump it its like a fresh one has just been put in.

so the only thing im asking is are there any little things i might run into? ive done this plenty of times on other vehicles, just want to make sure this ones not got any surprises.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i put an optima yellow top in today, seemed to have fixed the starting problem for now, im gonna let it sit for a few days though to check....i just dont see how the battery could die all the time if the alternator is working properly. so i'll replace that next...damn things are expensive though, at least through auto zone

When my original battery died, and they do die, there was not forewarning. Just one day I went outside to go to work and it wouldn't start. The batteries will get to a point that they don't take a charge anymore.

well i put an optima yellow top in today, seemed to have fixed the starting problem for now, im gonna let it sit for a few days though to check....i just dont see how the battery could die all the time if the alternator is working properly. so i'll replace that next...damn things are expensive though, at least through auto zone

If it runs fine after a jump start then that means your alt. is working fine, if it wasn't working correctly then you would start it up and it will use what's left for power in your battery and then shut down again. maybe some wiring problems if your going through batteries like crazy? Or maybe leaving things on at night by accident alot? Running the radio with subs and amp for too long without starting it up to charg the battery again? Just some ideas on why it might be dieing quickly.

no, its not that it was going through batteries.....the more i think about it, it was probably just the end of that battery's life (figure 2003 build date....4 years on the same battery). I'll let it go for a bit on the optima and see where it lands, if the problems all go away then yay....if not then i'll look a little deeper.

no, i knew its been having problems, and i actually had to have the truck jumped just to get to the parts store to buy a new battery...didnt get it tested but from what i know it was doornails

Back