• Register Today It's free!

04 cranks but won't start

logtanboy

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer (2WD)
Driving home the other night, my 04 Explorer sputter and quit running. After a tow home, I went about trying to gather some info.

It cranks. I hear the fuel pump engage. PATS system seems to be OK (light comes on and then goes off.

Spark is good, but I can't get it to start even with starting fluid.

I've only had the thing 2 months, so I don't know it's history too well.

People say fuel filter, fuel pump, pcm, iac etc etc.

Here's my question, wouldn't it start on starting fluid even with fuel delivery issues?

Fuses appear good on sight inspection.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I unplugged each spark plug wire from the coil. Do you mean detach the coil itself and reattach?

check compression, might have broke the timing chain, same thing happened to our 04

My 04 twice now has not started when it's very damp, raining all day. Similar to what you are experiencing. It cranks fine but won't start. I can hear the fuel pump engage and I smell gas when this happens, almost like it's flooding. Both times this happened it did start the next day. The second time I did have to give it gas to get it to start. Then it was idling a little rough so I feathered the gas for a bit and it smoothed out and has ran fine ever since. I believe my issue is due to moisture building up somewhere when it's really damp out. I do need to replace my plugs and wires. I have 145K on it and have never changed either one.

My 04 twice now has not started when it's very damp, raining all day. Similar to what you are experiencing. It cranks fine but won't start. I can hear the fuel pump engage and I smell gas when this happens, almost like it's flooding. Both times this happened it did start the next day. The second time I did have to give it gas to get it to start. Then it was idling a little rough so I feathered the gas for a bit and it smoothed out and has ran fine ever since. I believe my issue is due to moisture building up somewhere when it's really damp out. I do need to replace my plugs and wires. I have 145K on it and have never changed either one.

i would change both wires and plugs along with the coil pack. i had another vehicle and it wouldn't start on wet days and changed just the coil pack and it has never been an issue again. plugs and wires are just cheap maintenance.

Back