03 explorer cranks but won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 explorer cranks but won't start

miccanic

Reaction score
City, State
Waycross Ga.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer
Hello! First time user! I have an 03 explorer that won't start but it will crank over. I changed The fuel filter and check the fuel rail PSI it was about 55 psi. I changed the plugs and wires the old plugs were only about .80 thousands. LOL I checked spark with a tester it was good also. I changed the crank position sensor and MFA sensor from a Identical running Explorer. Now get this! I removed a plug to check compression It was good so I left the plug out to see what would come out of the cylinder and it started and ran. It ran rough compression blowing out the hole but it ran. I stopped the truck put the plug back in and started it. It ran for about 20 seconds then shut off. It would not start again. The whole time it ran with the plug in it, it made a rattling noise that seamed to come from the exhaust. Is it possible the Exhaust is plugged up? Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

03 Explore cranks but won't start

Well I received no reply's so set out to talk with a muffler shop and what I found was that it was common for the cat's to become plugged and/or disintegrate and plug the exhaust system. What was not common was that it would prevent it from starting. So with that I decided to drop the exhaust right at the manifolds and BAM! it started and ran. It runs pretty well just will not idle it shuts off. I think that maybe cause there is no back pressure in the exhaust or the fuel is poor quality. It has been sitting a couple of years.

Definitely need some fresh fuel!

old fuel

If your fuel looks like this then you're wasting your time until you drain or pump it all out.
oldfuel.jpg

Anytime your vehicle is going to sit for more than 6 months you should add a bottle of fuel stabilizer to the tank.

I actually bought this Explorer from a man whom could not get it started. He let it sit for a couple of years. So I took a chance! For the price I think it was worth it. The fuel tank only had about an 1/8 of a tank in it. So what I am going to try and do is add about 12 gals of premium to mix with the old fuel and add a can of Gummout fuel system cleaner to the tank and run it like that for a little while and hopefully it will do the trick. Thanks for the help!

new fuel on top

The old fuel is on the bottom of the tank where the fuel pickup is. The new fuel will be on top of the old fuel. I suggest disconnecting the fuel line (maybe at the fuel filter), jumper the fuel pump relay and use the fuel pump to pump out all of the old fuel before adding new fuel.

So The old fuel will not mix with the new fuel? If it does not I can see it would be a problem. What about the fuel stabilizer/cleaner. That will not help?

Back