04 Explorer with RPM surge climbing an incline | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Explorer with RPM surge climbing an incline

Joscibo

Reaction score
City, State
Central Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
My RPM's are surging 2-300 when climbing a hill the go up and come down. I have been told by a master mechanic it is torque converter lock up problem. If so will it be fixed by doing a tranny service on my 04?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you ever changed your fuel filter? That was the culprit for my surging back around the 115k mark.

Have you ever changed your fuel filter? That was the culprit for my surging back around the 115k mark.

I just picked one up today. I'm hoping to change it tomorrow. Planning a tranny flush and matching 4 tires. It has matching set 2 are almost slick and front 2 are really good.

I ordered wheels today for a 17 inch Explorer that I plan on blasting and powder coating to use a matched set of 17 inch tires I have. I'm hoping this solves the 4X4 problem with a missed match set.

That should do the trick. Hopefully your tcase isn't damaged...

That should do the trick. Hopefully your tcase isn't damaged...

Cured the problem now a tranny fluid change for insurance purposes. Not sure how many miles are on it so I'm changing it soon.

Tonight I drove the Explorer out of town and found I am still having the same issue with surging RPM. It acts as if it needs to downshift and ounce it does its fine. I have read around a bit and plugged exhaust seems like it could be possible as a problem here as well. I'm going to flush the tranny and change the filter to see if this cured it. If not I have another 04 donor vehicle I can steel the exhaust from to see if that fixes it. The tranny was a rebuild in April of 2010 is what it said on the torque converter when I had the engine out. Tranny fluid changes really help shifting as I have found in the past and I plan on using the Schaeffer's 204SAT product as it has worked very well for me in the past.

Yesterday I changed the filter and tranny oil in the 04 Explorer and I am still experiencing trouble when climbing slight hills to larger hills with RPM fluctuation of 2-400 RPM's. it feels like it is struggling with OD torque converter lock up. The tranny pan looked extremely clean hardly any fuzzies on the magnet. The tranny is a rebuild from April of 2010 and as far as the miles on I'm not sure as I bought the Explorer used with a blown engine. My question I have is there an electronic issue that I should be looking for?

You sure the whole tranny was rebuilt and not just the torque converter, it could be the servo bore issue not being able to hold 5th/OD under load..?

You sure the whole tranny was rebuilt and not just the torque converter, it could be the servo bore issue not being able to hold 5th/OD under load..?

I guess I assume its been rebuilt entirely. Servo bore is that buried in internally or accessible fairly easy? I have a parts Explorer with a good tranny and can use some parts if needed.

Any idea how hard it is to do the servo bore? I'm looking to sell this rig soon and need to cure this if I can.

Back