'04 Pioneer Edition aftermarket question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'04 Pioneer Edition aftermarket question

Noyesgreene

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Pioneer Edition ST
I am looking to replace the original pioneer head unit with something a little more current with GPS navigation. However, everything tells me that a regular double din unit will not fit in the vehicle. I want to put a pioneer head unit in because after all it is a pioneer edition and I think would look silly with anything else in it. Does anyone have a solution?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A double-din will fit, it simply requires a little trimming of the stock trim bezel. Do a search in the "Explorer Audio & Navigation" subsection for "double din" and you'll find countless posts talking about it and showing you how to do it. Good luck!

Tom

I just put a double DIN JVC in my 05 last week, no trimming or modification required. Just get the proper dash mounting kit for it. Fits perfectly.

JVC.jpg

I just put a double DIN JVC in my 05 last week, no trimming or modification required. Just get the proper dash mounting kit for it. Fits perfectly.

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp97/sbroad/JVC.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
Noyesgreene has an '04 Sport Trac, which has the same interior as the '95-'01 4-door Explorers, not the '02-'05 Explorers. The second generation Explorers have a 9/10ths double-din opening, unlike the third gens, so the trim needs to be shimmed down to fit over the upper and lower portions of the double-din head units.

Tom

Noyesgreene has an '04 Sport Trac, which has the same interior as the '95-'01 4-door Explorers, not the '02-'05 Explorers. The second generation Explorers have a 9/10ths double-din opening, unlike the third gens, so the trim needs to be shimmed down to fit over the upper and lower portions of the double-din head units.

Tom

Missed the ST part, my bad.

Back