Blueka's "Pickle" Registry.... | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blueka's "Pickle" Registry....

Since 2005 when I bought "Betty", my UK Explorer, I've wanted a sport...

well, now that I live in Canada, the chance has presented itself for me to get one...

This one.... it's a 99 sport, 4.0 SOHC... it's a total write off for the moment... but when I saw the advert on Kijiji I couldn't say no. It needed some love and I wanted a project to get stuck into, so I did my research and found out how much parts are gonna cost me etc etc.

So. I present.. Pickle.. (cos it's green and in a right mess)

Si
Explorer vin x.jpg
Explorer vin E 2.jpg
Explorer vin E.jpg
Explorer vin E 1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, progress has been slow of late... mostly due to my parents coming for 2 weeks. I haven't seen them for 2 years and I didn't wanna waste a moment of their visit in the shop, and now I'm moving house over the next 2 weeks, so progress will still be a little slow...

However... I did get some lovely halo headlights, courtesy of Sean99 and these beauties...

180520111225.jpg

180520111227.jpg

They're 315 75 16 Toyo Open Country MT's... and they were too cheap to refuse...
Here they are up against Tankerbell
180520111224.jpg

And I got them mounted on the Sport rims, so I can test fit them once I get the transmission in..
270520111292.jpg

Sarah also bought be a new windshield, but I can't get that fitted till it goes in for it's first safety...

Hopefully, it'll be finished in the next few weeks.

Si

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Driveshaft yoke, engine mounts & brake booster?

. . .
I'm planning on swapping out the rear driveshaft yoke today and then I've got to drill out the exhaust manifold bolts so I can re-attach the exhaust.

So replacing the V6 yoke with the V8 yoke allows use of the V6 driveshaft with no alterations? I believe axial32 did the same thing on his swap.

. . . The only part I'm going to have to buy is engine mounts.
Were the engine mounts from "Pancake" damaged and not useable in your "Pickle" Sport?

. . . I might also be able to use a radiator that came in the back of pickle as the 5.0 one was trashed.
Do you plan to have A/C? I seem to recall that the way the 5.0 condenser mounts to the radiator is different from the 4.0.

. . . I've also got to remove the dash again so I can swap out the brake booster. . . Si

Why is it necessary to swap the brake booster when going from the 4.0L to the 5.0L?

I'm keeping track of your excellent progress since I hope to do the same thing in the future. So far I can't find a 2WD 5.0L in the local area for less than $3,500.

WOW I am amazed at how much work you've done! :notworthy

I cant wait to see it finally done! Did Sean sell you his one piece headlights?

So replacing the V6 yoke with the V8 yoke allows use of the V6 driveshaft with no alterations? I believe axial32 did the same thing on his swap.

Were the engine mounts from "Pancake" damaged and not useable in your "Pickle" Sport?

Do you plan to have A/C? I seem to recall that the way the 5.0 condenser mounts to the radiator is different from the 4.0.

Why is it necessary to swap the brake booster when going from the 4.0L to the 5.0L?

I'm keeping track of your excellent progress since I hope to do the same thing in the future. So far I can't find a 2WD 5.0L in the local area for less than $3,500.

The engine mounts were damaged from the rollover. I have mounted up the plumbing from the A/C to the rads and it appears to be the same, except it looks like there should be some electrical connector on the top of one pipe.
I swapped the brake booster cos I read somewhere that it was a good idea and I want it to look factory under the hood, as much as I can.
As for the Yoke swap, I believe that it allows the use of the sport rear shaft, however, when I swap to 4406, I'll have to work something else out...

And yes, Sean did sell me his headlights! He's an awesome guy!

Si

Pats?

I assume that you will be using the PCM out of the 2000 which incorporates PATS. That means that you will need to either program the 2000 PCM for the 1999 ignition/door keys or replace the 1999 ignition lock with the 2000 ignition lock. If you do the latter then you will have different door keys and ignition keys unless you also swap the door locks. I got a duplicate Volvo key made at a PATS qualified locksmith a few months ago and I talked with him about reprogramming a Ford V8 PCM for V6 keys and vice versa. He said it was his experience that the keys would not work unless the vehicle was towed to the dealer for reprogramming. I'm hoping he was remembering what happens with 3rd generation Explorers that have the VIN programmed in numerous smart modules. I have checked my 2000 wiring diagrams and have not found any data bus connections between the PCM and any other module except PATS and EATC which I don't have. There is an RF interface between the PCM and the anti-theft transceiver module. I'll be very interested in what you do to resolve any PATS issues.

:popcorn:

I assume that you will be using the PCM out of the 2000 which incorporates PATS. That means that you will need to either program the 2000 PCM for the 1999 ignition/door keys or replace the 1999 ignition lock with the 2000 ignition lock. If you do the latter then you will have different door keys and ignition keys unless you also swap the door locks. I got a duplicate Volvo key made at a PATS qualified locksmith a few months ago and I talked with him about reprogramming a Ford V8 PCM for V6 keys and vice versa. He said it was his experience that the keys would not work unless the vehicle was towed to the dealer for reprogramming. I'm hoping he was remembering what happens with 3rd generation Explorers that have the VIN programmed in numerous smart modules. I have checked my 2000 wiring diagrams and have not found any data bus connections between the PCM and any other module except PATS and EATC which I don't have. There is an RF interface between the PCM and the anti-theft transceiver module. I'll be very interested in what you do to resolve any PATS issues.

I swapped the ignition collar over, the door locks, ignition barrel, PCM and the dash module from the 2000 V8, the rest of the wiring loom in the truck is from a 4dr 2000 V6, including the door looms, so I've got the wiring for heated mirrors with puddle lights, memory seats and I've got controls for power rear windows should I want to put something on that circuit too. Even the dashboard is from the 4dr so I can run the centre console with EATC and the factory sub in the rear.

If I have any problems I'll let you know.

Si

Since we're still moving house, things are going slow, however, I took the chance today to do a spot of "Pickling"..

I put the V8 plaque back on the engine, re-fitted the hood and lined up the bumper with the brackets from the lift kit... I hate those brackets.. the bumper still isn't lined up properly, it's about an inch too low...

130620111442.jpg

130620111443.jpg

I also put on the air dam thing at the bottom of the radiator, so the front end is now pretty much done.

I've just got to get the transmission in, sort the exhaust out, refit the rear bumper, and a few little odds n ends then she can go in for her first inspection.

Si

Well, finally got the issues with the rear bumper lift brackets sorted out... I hated doing a BL.. don't ever want to do another one!

160620111452.jpg

160620111454.jpg

160620111453.jpg

I had to belt the crap outta the brackets with a lump hammer, then use a drill press to make new holes.. fits ok, slightly off to one side, but not too noticeable...

I'm now very happy and it's getting closer to being finished!!

Si

Just a quick update....

Transmission is in... front section of the exhaust is in... rear section is going to have to go to a fab shop so that will be next week.

Issues with the shifter cable may have been resolved...

I now have issues with the transmission cooler lines.. might have to cut them and extend them with rubber pipe...

Nearly ready to fire her up for the first time!!

Si

exhaust configuration?

. . . front section of the exhaust is in... rear section is going to have to go to a fab shop so that will be next week.

I'm very interested in your exhaust configuration. How much of the original 5.0L exhaust did you use? Did you use any of the Sport exhaust?

Issues with the shifter cable may have been resolved....

Were the shifter cable issues due to the body lift or the drivetrain swap?

I now have issues with the transmission cooler lines.. might have to cut them and extend them with rubber pipe....

I cut my rigid lines to reroute them for the remote filter and coolers. I flared the ends with a flare tool kit so the clamped hoses could not slip off. There doesn't seem to be much pressure in the ATF external cooling loop.

Nearly ready to fire her up for the first time. Si

Good luck with your engine start and first drive!

I'm very interested in your exhaust configuration. How much of the original 5.0L exhaust did you use? Did you use any of the Sport exhaust?

I used from the exhaust manifolds to the end of the rear cats, the rest after that will have to be fabricated to suit due to the sport being 10" shorter

Were the shifter cable issues due to the body lift or the drivetrain swap?

Neither, I broke the 5.0 shifter cable when I removed the body off of the rollover, I subsequently broke the other 2 cables I had left at home, as a result, I can put it into gear ,but can't take it out.

I cut my rigid lines to reroute them for the remote filter and coolers. I flared the ends with a flare tool kit so the clamped hoses could not slip off. There doesn't seem to be much pressure in the ATF external cooling loop.

Thanks, I was gonna use 2 jubilee clips at either end!!

And just a further update, the manifold bolt issue has been sorted out, the shafts are all in and tightened up, all the wiring harnesses are tightened up, everything is where it should be.

I'm just waiting on the fan clutch and fan from some dude on ebay, and I've gotta goto the JY tomorrow for a shifter cable and then I should be able to crank her up!!

The battery is on charge!

Here's some pictures of how the exhaust is sitting right now
010720111471.jpg

010720111472.jpg

Si

cats & mufflers?

Thanks for the photos. Was the original 4 door exhaust configuration two pairs of cats followed by two inline mufflers? My Sport only has one pair of cats feeding a dual in/single out muffler followed by a resonator. The system appears to be original.
Cats.jpg

I knew that most of the 4 doors had a front and rear muffler but didn't realize there were two pairs of cats. If I ever switch to a V8 I'd prefer only 2 cats, 1 muffler for each bank, and a resonator if needed.

Good luck at the salvage yard!

The V8 donor I got had 4 cats. Each pipe from the manifold has 2 cats and 2 O2 sensors on them. They are true dual pipes till it reaches the muffler.

I took some pictures of the V8 rear muffler (left) and the OHV Sport muffler (right) for comparison. They're both the same size, but the V8 has an extra muffler in the rear pipe, they were also the same length but I chopped off the tail pipes to make it easier to get in n out of the truck.

010720111474.jpg

010720111473.jpg

As you can see the Sport muffler is a 1 in, 1 out affair, the V8 a 2 in 1 out.

In order to get through the safeties I have to keep the 4 cats, I can probably get away with some smaller mufflers though.

**EDIT**

Here's the best picture I can get of the front exhaust set up...
010720111477.jpg

Si

same muffler & resonator

Thanks for your trouble to take and post the photos. The V8 2 in/1 out muffler with resonator looks identical to what I have. Apparently until now I misunderstood what other forum members meant when they referred to two mufflers. I suspect they were counting the resonator as the second muffler. If I do a dual swap (V8 to 2 door & V6 to 4 door) initially I may be able to reuse much of both exhaust systems. Eventually I'll want only one high flow, 3 way cat on each bank. I wonder if your front cats are only for NOx and the rear cats are 2 way (HC & CO). I think a single (larger than stock diameter) tailpipe is more desirable than dual tailpipes. There is less total weight and complexity. A 3 inch diameter pipe should be adequate for even a stroked and moderately modified 5.0L.

A 3 inch diameter pipe should be adequate for even a stroked and moderately modified 5.0L.

just be for warned. it makes a major sound difference when you go to a bigger tail pipe, and loose the resonator. i put a flowmaster 40 on evil last year, and this year i had to get a different tail pipe made up, which made it drone lots at 3000 rpms.........LOTS.

I'm going to try to keep the rear section as factory as possible... it'll just have to have a shorter box muffler but keep the rest of the pipe..

Going to the JY today to get a shifter cable, hopefully be able to fire it up later today after I sort out the issues with the transmission lines....

Si

Well, I went to the JY yesterday, got a shifter cable that isn't broken. I installed it today, finished off the tranny lines, fitted the dipstick tube for the tranny, sorted out the rest of the wiring problems and filled it up with fluids (antifreeze, trans fluid, PAS fluid) and of course gas.... and then it was time for the first attempt to start....

And...

First turn of the key, she fired up!! I think everyone was surprised to hear her start, but the fact that she started first turn is amazing!!

Thankyou to Sarah for taking these little videos for me...
th_07032011017.jpg

th_07032011018.jpg

To say I'm happy is an understatement...

I now have 2 issues... no oil pressure on the gauge and a fast idle... I'm hopefully taking it for a new rear muffler tomorrow..

Si

Back