04 Sport trac stereo installation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Sport trac stereo installation

04sporttrac.

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer sport
I've installed a new stereo in my sport trac but I can't seem to get the sub in the back seat to work. I have the correct wiring harnesses and the voltage regulator. I think I have my wiring wrong? And I'm not sure how to post pictures on here either. Please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your image is not showing up

I had the picture problem. Use photobucket.

-5FA8-49C9-A421-592954F35D73-5184-000004B73BD35B42.jpg

The bottom code will be the one that you'll use.

Why do you need a voltage regulator?

USArmy Active Duty. Nathan, 2002 Sport Trac 4x4. -TT, K&N intake, Poweraid throttle body spacer, Flowmaster 40 with turn down, 30k Kensun HID headlights and fog lights, high beam relay mod, Grille delete, LED grille lights, Recon light bar w/ reverse lights, tinted 3rd brake light, 5% tinted windows.

you could use a in line resistor to, it is for the factory amp to go from 12v to 6v

I've never needed to use one. it doesn't seem necessary

USArmy Active Duty. Nathan, 2002 Sport Trac 4x4. -TT, K&N intake, Poweraid throttle body spacer, Flowmaster 40 with turn down, 30k Kensun HID headlights and fog lights, high beam relay mod, Grille delete, LED grille lights, Recon light bar w/ reverse lights, tinted 3rd brake light, 5% tinted windows.

I think it is to eliminate the "pop" sound when it turns on

Hmm...I've never had that problem.

start with the simplest stuff first. test for continuity on the wires that goes to the sub. double check your wiring for the amp to the harness. the sub may not work right if the amp is hooked up wrong. check applicable fuses.

The sub works when I hook up the factory stereo so I know nothings wrong with the amp or anything like that. It's got to be something with the wiring that I did.
I'll post pictures soon. And thank you for the photobucket tip

What is the small one for?

In the first pic. The small harness

I think I may have found your problem!

The blue/white coming off of the harness, run that wire to your amp. That's the one that will turn it on.

That's for the sub. But I figured it out. I had to solder the blue/white remote wire to the regulator. Sub works now, woo!

Here's some pics I just took of the back of my unit.

-DECF-4EB7-AB96-D8A798C353DB-1169-000000C311C37777.jpg

-51DA-4B73-B030-89D031C35DC3-1169-000000C316FE6B68.jpg

-B3BE-40D0-A7F6-8AF700760A6B-1169-000000C31F6EF3B0.jpg

-9B37-40C7-BCCB-792E281E6D07-1169-000000C32B84C3E4.jpg

Are you using an aftermarket sub?
Nvm. I read back.

Back