05 explorer ac not blowing hard enough | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 explorer ac not blowing hard enough

Blkhwkcc1

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford explorer
Hey everybody

Got a 2005 explorer. The ac temp is perfect but the ac hardly blows out the vents. U can here the fan running strong but nothing coming out. Rear air ac works as advertised and flows out like normal

The defrost and heat work as well too just blows out pathetically. Base model explorer and could not find a ac filter looked under the glove box etc. have read to look to see if plastic got sucked up or something but can't find anywhere under the dash were anything could get sucked up

Any ideas???????

Thanks

Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The blend door or actuator isn't closing to divert air to the different passages. It could also be the control valve on the dash, had to replace that item on my Ex. Are you getting air out of all outlets (defrost/vents/floor) at the same time?

Hey everybody

Got a 2005 explorer. The ac temp is perfect but the ac hardly blows out the vents. U can here the fan running strong but nothing coming out. Rear air ac works as advertised and flows out like normal

The defrost and heat work as well too just blows out pathetically. Base model explorer and could not find a ac filter looked under the glove box etc. have read to look to see if plastic got sucked up or something but can't find anywhere under the dash were anything could get sucked up

Any ideas???????

Thanks

Matt

Use the search box at the top of the forum and type in a question regarding a bad "air recirculation door" and it will pull up past posts on this issue including removal or repair instructions. I don't have any links for it handy. I believe this may be your problem. The air recirc door located behind the glove box(upper area) falls off of it's hinge points and lands on top of the blower housing blocking the blower air flow to the vents. It lays on it's side and the door is approx. 5" High by 11" long in size, made out of plastic and some foam screening material. It's a common problem and happened on my 2005 EX. Easy to check and remove completely or reinstalling is a little more work but do-able.

^^^^It is this. Just remember if you pull the door out you will always have outside air blowing it....hot on warm days and you will freeze the person in that seat on cold days. I reattached the door 3 times and finally gave up...I took self tapping screws and an extension and screwed the door shut.

Think I have the same problem

The blend door or actuator isn't closing to divert air to the different passages. It could also be the control valve on the dash, had to replace that item on my Ex. Are you getting air out of all outlets (defrost/vents/floor) at the same time?

Hi Dave8338,
Would you be kind enough to look at my posting a few days ago under JEsche54 and give me your opinion if it is the actuator or the control valve. Thanks

Hi Dave8338,
Would you be kind enough to look at my posting a few days ago under JEsche54 and give me your opinion if it is the actuator or the control valve. Thanks

A bad "blend door actuator" usually makes a clicking or clunking type of sound that you can hear coming from behind the dashboard when you turn the temp control knob from cold to hot. Great majority of posts I've read on this including it happened on my EX, the blend door actuator tends to fail or break while set to the cold side. When people go to switch back to the hot side for colder times of the year, you start hearing that sound I mentioned and you don't get any hot air coming thru the dash vents. You can rule out a bad blend door actuator that way.

The blend door or actuator isn't closing to divert air to the different passages. It could also be the control valve on the dash, had to replace that item on my Ex. Are you getting air out of all outlets (defrost/vents/floor) at the same time?[/QUOTE

Yes getting air in all the right places just slow

Thanks guys it was the bleed door fixed it up. Works like a champ

I have a buddy that was having the same issue on his 07 08 ford ranger he replaced the blend door actuator still the same .. this truck doesn't have a cabin air filter however it does have a screen on the inlet side of the blower motor . We took the blower motor out and took a air blower and cleaned the screen out now it blows great . You can also see this screen by turning your ac to max ac (which makes you ac suck from the cabin compartment) open your glove box and take a flash light and look past the flap/ door. DONT BLOW THE SCREEN OUT FROM THE GLOVE BOX. IF YOU DO YOU CAN STOP UP THE AC EVAPORATOR AND HEATER CORE THEN YOUR IN FOR A LOT OF WORK

I did have to fix my blend door in my 2005 Mountaineer (Replaced the whole unit) a while back, but mainly my problem now is that leaves work their way in an rest on the mesh screen above the blower, blocking airflow. My solution was that I dropped the glove compartment, and cut an opening about 2 inches by 7 inches in the box thing above the blower so I could easily reach in and remove the leaves. I cut a slightly larger piece of rectangular heavy duty plastic that I cover the opening and secure with two screws. I usually try to clean it out every three months. Airflow is substantially increased after remove just a small amount of leaves.There is an oak tree right next to my driveway that is the main culprit.

Back