05 Explorer Radiator/Front Brakes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 Explorer Radiator/Front Brakes

bfdolins

Reaction score
Hello,

Very cool forum. I have a few questions about a 2005 4L v6, 4WD Explorer:

1.) I have what appears to be a radiator leak on the passenger rear side of the radiator. It has been slowly leaking for a couple years now and I have just been adding coolant when required. Its leaking pretty bad now and I think its time to replace the radiator. My question: Is it just a matter of unbolting the shroud and hanging it over the fan, unbolting the radiator and pulling it out (after disconnecting everything of course)? Any special tools required? Will the fan need to come off?

2.) The Front brakes also need to be replaced - pads and rotors. Any special tools required to do this? Is it fairly straightforward? Anything I need to watch out for? I've done 2wd vehicles before, but never a 4WD.

Thanks for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. i havent done the Ex. Although i've replaced a few, looks straight forward as you said. I don't remember reading any posts on doing it either. keep us posted :popcorn:

2. couldn't be any easier. Rears can be a PIA due to the parking brake rusting up inside the drum. Rear pads are easy however, its just getting the rotor off.

1. i havent done the Ex. Although i've replaced a few, looks straight forward as you said. I don't remember reading any posts on doing it either. keep us posted :popcorn:

2. couldn't be any easier. Rears can be a PIA due to the parking brake rusting up inside the drum. Rear pads are easy however, its just getting the rotor off.

Thanks. I'll let you know how the radiator goes. The shop wants so much money to do this -> $650 for rad and $350 for brakes. I've done all this stuff on other vehicles, I just dont want to get into it and realize I bit off more than I can chew :).

I see you're from Birmingham...I was just down there for the Dream Cruise.

You really need to pull the fan to get the radiator out.

You can move the trans cooler out of the way, have done it a few times now, so you don't need to disconnect it.

Other then that, the explorer radiator has got to be the easiest one i have R&R in a newer car. For example, the whole from clip has to come off to replace one in a new Passat, that was fun :)

It helps to have a second set of hands or bungee cords when you go to reinstall everything, you will see as it goes back together if you do not disconnect the trans cooler.

Send me an e-mail address and I will send the instructions from the factory manual for you.

Have Fun!

Tom

You really need to pull the fan to get the radiator out.

You can move the trans cooler out of the way, have done it a few times now, so you don't need to disconnect it.

Other then that, the explorer radiator has got to be the easiest one i have R&R in a newer car. For example, the whole from clip has to come off to replace one in a new Passat, that was fun :)

It helps to have a second set of hands or bungee cords when you go to reinstall everything, you will see as it goes back together if you do not disconnect the trans cooler.

Send me an e-mail address and I will send the instructions from the factory manual for you.

Have Fun!

Tom

Thank you. I PM'd you my email address.

yep, i only two blocks off, can't get away. I posted in the trail meet section see if any one want to meet up , but no takers. Only a million visitors or so this year, still fun to check them out.

Good luck.

Hello,

Very cool forum. I have a few questions about a 2005 4L v6, 4WD Explorer:

1.) I have what appears to be a radiator leak on the passenger rear side of the radiator. It has been slowly leaking for a couple years now and I have just been adding coolant when required. Its leaking pretty bad now and I think its time to replace the radiator. My question: Is it just a matter of unbolting the shroud and hanging it over the fan, unbolting the radiator and pulling it out (after disconnecting everything of course)? Any special tools required? Will the fan need to come off?
Not to doubt you but are you sure is a leak and not the valve to drain the radiator that is not tight? Because I believe the drain valve is on the passenger side rear-bottom of the radiator. That will take you all but 10 mins to check and will save you $$$ and time.

Orlando

Not to doubt you but are you sure is a leak and not the valve to drain the radiator that is not tight? Because I believe the drain valve is on the passenger side rear-bottom of the radiator. That will take you all but 10 mins to check and will save you $$$ and time.

Orlando

I pulled the shroud off tonight just to make sure. It was leaking toward the top on the inside passenger in the corner. It looked like it could have been leaking toward the bottom too. It's strange because the thing is not rotted at all.

On my 94 explorer it had something similar, not rotten at all, it was the gasket between the radiator core and the end caps, that seemed to have shrunk, it was worse in winter and got better as the engine heated. I tried bending the metal crimps a bit more in order to squeese the gasket and it solved the problem for me.

Worked these things on saturday...I was shocked how easy the brakes were. It stops so nice now :). I thought the radiator was a nightmare. I was able to leave the fan in no problem and also leave the the trans cooler connected. There was no doubt it was a 2 man/2 bungee cord job. I'm glad I was able to get my dad to help. Took around 4 hours with screw ups :((got it all back to gether and realized mounting bolt was missing). All in all it was worth it. pa944red, thanks again for the directions and thanks to everyone else.

Also, it really seemed to me Ford could have easily mounted those clip nuts on the post so the mounting bolts are facing out, and maybe slightly repositioned the lower mounts to make the job so much easier.

Thanks. I'll let you know how the radiator goes. The shop wants so much money to do this -> $650 for rad and $350 for brakes. I've done all this stuff on other vehicles, I just dont want to get into it and realize I bit off more than I can chew :).

"that's too dauym much" ("Used Cars")

The radiatior cannot be any worse/easier than most any radiator, I'm thinking. I am a bit surprised that one started leaking that soon, are you in a place where things get salted?

The front brakes could not be easier - no kidding 10 minutes a side. If you have done any brakes, you'll have no trouble with these.

"that's too dauym much" ("Used Cars")

The radiatior cannot be any worse/easier than most any radiator, I'm thinking. I am a bit surprised that one started leaking that soon, are you in a place where things get salted?

The front brakes could not be easier - no kidding 10 minutes a side. If you have done any brakes, you'll have no trouble with these.

Yeah, Im in Michigan so I see alot of salt, but still its fast.

I saw how fast the brakes went! I'm so mad I already once paid to have them done.

Yeah, Im in Michigan so I see alot of salt, but still its fast.

I saw how fast the brakes went! I'm so mad I already once paid to have them done.

Ditto that, I rotate my tires about 2X year and each time measure the pad thickness. That way I can predict when to replace them. This way, I should never need to replace or turn rotors. So next time I rotate the tires when they should about be due, I have new pads in the garage ready to go, spend 10 minutes installing them and go on, grinning about the savings.:thumbsup: Who cares is I replace the pads 3-4K miles 'early' that's about a Starbuck's cup worth of change.

We also get a little salt here (from the ocean) so I will improve my inspections for this possible failure.:thumbsup:

Back