• Register Today It's free!

06 07 explorers radiator leak TSB

CmdrPopNFresh

Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
hey guys. just stumbled upon this while looking around the ford site this morning......basically they have found that 06 07 explorers mountaineers & sport tracs with the 4.0 are having issues with leaks from the radiator. so if you happen to be under the hood check your coolant and if youre experiencing this and you are still under warranty get on down to the dealership and get fixed up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

FORD: 2006 Explorer
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
MERCURY: 2006 Mountaineer

ISSUE:
Some 2006 Explorer, Mountaineer and 2007 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles built on or before 8/8/2006 and equipped with a 4.0L engine may experience coolant leaking from the radiator.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Replace the radiator with the updated radiator following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-03.
NOTE: NOTE: A REVISED FAN STRATEGY IS ALSO AVAILABLE FOR THESE APPLICATIONS

Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 58.2 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2008.11 Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
6L2Z-8005-AD Radiator

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
090801A 2007 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L: Replace The Radiator; Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With 12650D, 8005A, 8600A, 8616A) 1.8 Hrs.
090801A 2006 Explorer, Mountaineer 4.0L: Replace The Radiator; Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With 12650D, 8005A, 8600A, 8616A) 1.9 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
8005 01

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, anyone who has 2006 can get the radiator replaced ? It's strange that Ford comes out with the TSB when the 3/36000 is about up. All those people who paid for the work, lets see if they get a refund ? I'm on my fourth radiator.

Ive got an 06 xlt with the 4.0 built in that time period and I have yet to have a problem with the radiator...and Ive got 70k on mine....I get lucky I guess?

My 06 started leaking last month and was replaced under warrenty.

Just happened to me yesterday. Should I buy a different brand radiator and try to install it myself, or deal with dealers and AWA. 2006 Ediie bauer V6 4.0 33000 miles

AWA worked for me. Took some *****ing with the dealership because they wanted me to do other things i told them no. but in the long run they coverd it at 80% and i paid 20%

I have a 2007 Sport Trac build date of 06/06. It just seems wrong that Ford doesn't notify owner of the problem when they know about it. I just turned 40,000 so 3 yr /36 out the door. I wonder if every salesman had to disclose to the customer that somewhere around 35000 to 45000 miles your radiator may leak and if it is after 36000 you have to pay 800 bucks to get it fixed. So ar I have had to have the rear end replaced (20000 mi), 6 disc cd ate my disc at 37230 miles, tranny doesn't shift right, and 14mi per gal. Think it is time for another vehicle. Don't think I can justify going back to ford. Like the car but not the problems and dishonesty.

THe one in my 08 was leaking too so don't forget about them. I had it replaced at the dealer under warr.

STU

FYI

Just got mine fixed for nothing today. Went in with attitude that Ford was aware of this and have been for a long time and was betting that people would not bring in until after warrenty expiration. Refused to pay anything.

I love the look some of the service writters will give you when you describe something like this that they probably see 20 times a week..."Really? Coolant leaking under the bumper? Huh, we'll take a look-see...(2 hours later) Sir it seems your radiator has failed...Yes it seems rather soon to me too!"

This reminds me of a late recall on the upper intake on the 2v V8 on the Mustang. It had a plastic connector to the radiator hose that would crack and leak coolent. Whole thing had to be replaced to fix it. What Ford did was if you had your recipt they would re-imberse you for the cost. MAKE SURE YOU GUYS KEEP YOUR RECIPTS, you just never know. This all came out of a class action lawsuit.

My 06 EB V8 leaks too.

2006 Explorer XLT Radiator problem

I just found this forum today and am very pleased that I did. My Explorer has 36900 miles and was at the Dealer today for an oil change and ti get work done on Recall Notice in respect of Automatic Transmission which was sent out in January.

I also mentioned that the Radiator warning light flashed yesterday for about 30 seconds and being cautious I stopped at next gas station and topped up with 1/2 gallon of water. The dealer has told me to replace the radiator will cost $1200 with a Ford part or $780 with after market part and I said I needed to think about this before proceeding.

Soon as I Googled the issue up popped this thread and I find that it is a pre-known problem, and I am appalled that Ford or the Dealer don't feel obliged to share this information when I have been taking the vehicle to the dealers service dept for all servicing.

If I can't get them to accept any responsibility and ideas on alternatives for replacing the radiator? All input greatly appreciated

It will take a class action lawsuit to get them to pay for it are replace it. On my 98 mustang the upper intake manifold had a plastic coolent neck that would crack after time. About 3 years ago I got a notice from Ford offering to replace it or reimberse me for the repair. I guess all I am saying is either contact an attorney and point this site out to him or keep your recipt. I kept mine thankfully and was fully reimbersed by Ford.

Surbiton, @ 36900 miles wouldn't it still be under warr.? Well maybe the radiator isn't a powertrain item. I would call Ford corporate and demand that it is fixed. With it only being a fraction over the warr. and the problem bound to have occured before those last 900 miles were driven. Mine went bad in my wife's 08 Mountaineer. I caught it and took it in before 36000 so not sure about the warr. they told me plain and simple at the dealer it is a well known problem. I was told the factory radiator is crimped in and the factory got them too tight and with the movement of the ride they woudl crack right there and leak. Mine was really slow but still leaking. Looks like they would fix it, or atleast half the bill. Tell them you will pay for the labor but not the part or which ever is cheaper of something. But 1st I would refuse to pay anything and for sure call other dealers and tell them to see what they say and call corperate. The big dogs really hate neg. press on the dealers. Good luck and keep us posted. Oh ya, here is the # for Ford service 800-392-3673.
This is quoted off their site.
.If you have questions or concerns about your vehicle, we suggest you follow these steps:
1.Contact your Sales Representative or Service Advisor at your selling/servicing dealership.
2.If the inquiry or concern remains unresolved, contact the Sales Manager or Service Manager at the dealership.
3.If the inquiry or concern cannot be resolved at the dealership level, please contact us, below.
STU

Thanks Stuart for taking time to respond. I fully agree with you and earlier spoke with the Service manager at the Dealership and expressed in polite terms how strongly I feel about this and that I will be following up with Ford if they are unable to do anything at Dealer level for me.

In my opinion an issue of this nature is no different than the safety recall I took the vehicle to the dealer today other than I am facing a $780 cheapest option for repair in respect of the radiator. To me this becomes a challenge of principle and I will not rest until I get satisfactory resolution - even if I Co-pay a max of say 25%.

I am pleased I found this Forum and that other people are having the same issue.

Well...guess what happened to me today? Just turned 50k miles, overflow tank was empty, I've owned the truck all of 5 weeks. Guess I know why the previous owner traded it in. Maybe I need to do the same.

Has a more reliable aftermarket radiator been found? I have an '07 4.0L, is the radiator the same as the Explorer?

I picked this one over an F150 as I wanted something that worked in downtown traffic better...kind of regretting it now...frustrated.

I see they're $100 on ebay brand new. Seems to be leaking right in the middle, drivers side. Is that what others are seeing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FYI
Just got mine fixed for nothing today. Went in with attitude that Ford was aware of this and have been for a long time and was betting that people would not bring in until after warrenty expiration. Refused to pay anything.

I have a 2006 Expl with warranty still good on transmission which is acting up. Took it in earlier and they just called me saying the radiator is leaking and needs to be replaced at a total cost of $879.00....and must be replaced before they will repair the transmission. What a RIPOFF!!

Back