• Register Today It's free!

06 4.0 2wd 5r55s problems

Ifixem75

Reaction score
City, State
Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 EB 4.0 2wd
My wife has an 06 explorer. With 148,000 miles. Trans is a 5r55s. The other day she went to back up and it did not have reverse. I went to meet her and tried my self. You can put it in reverse when it's cold and it will back up fine most of the time. When it's warm you have to rev it up to around 2k on level ground to get it to move. If you park on a small incline, it will not back up hot or cold. All forward gears work fine and it shifts fine. Just problem with reverse. No lights are on and the OD light has never flashed. Trying to find out if it's the solenoids or something simple rather than spending 2000 on a rebuilt trans. The fluid level is fine and the fluid does not smell burnt. We have had it since October and the guy said that the trans was serviced 12000 miles ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's a 4.0, you will not be able to check the trans fluid. It's a closed system, no dipstick.

I would spend some money to have it diagnosed by a tranny shop. Preferably 2 as one can just force you to rebuild it.

Davidm53, I found out it didn't have a dipstick. Pulled the star bolt out from center of drain plug. According to the forums here, that's how you check it. I had 3 tranny shops here check it, none put on computer. All drove it and said it needed rebuilding. Seems to me that with it working when cold it could be a simple fix.

I really don't trust the local shops after speaking to them. Thinking of taking it to a ford dealership and put it on their computer.

None put it on computer!?!? That's the first/cheapest thing they should do, even before driving. There are good shops out there. Finding them is the hard part. Try a dealer.

Davidm53, I found out it didn't have a dipstick. Pulled the star bolt out from center of drain plug. According to the forums here, that's how you check it. I had 3 tranny shops here check it, none put on computer. All drove it and said it needed rebuilding. Seems to me that with it working when cold it could be a simple fix.

ok, so you pulled the bolt out and what? all that tells you is that the fluid isn't overfilled. you have to ensure the transmission is level. have you tried adding fluid to see if it will take it?

ok, so you pulled the bolt out and what? all that tells you is that the fluid isn't overfilled. you have to ensure the transmission is level. have you tried adding fluid to see if it will take it?

Pulled the bolt out and it ran slowly out. Would not take any fluid. Vehicle was level when this was done

Pulled the bolt out and it ran slowly out. Would not take any fluid. Vehicle was level when this was done

if this was with the vehicle hot then okay.

Yes, vehicle was at operating temp.

My wife has an 06 explorer. With 148,000 miles. Trans is a 5r55s. The other day she went to back up and it did not have reverse. I went to meet her and tried my self. You can put it in reverse when it's cold and it will back up fine most of the time. When it's warm you have to rev it up to around 2k on level ground to get it to move. If you park on a small incline, it will not back up hot or cold. All forward gears work fine and it shifts fine. Just problem with reverse. No lights are on and the OD light has never flashed. Trying to find out if it's the solenoids or something simple rather than spending 2000 on a rebuilt trans. The fluid level is fine and the fluid does not smell burnt. We have had it since October and the guy said that the trans was serviced 12000 miles ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This transmission should have a forward and reverse engagement without any electrical connection so the problem is not going the be electrical. I have seen the reverse bands break on these, its just one of those instant failures that just happens.

Your only real hope is to remove the reverse servo housing and check the reverse servo piston and its o ring because thats what applies the band, if they are damaged it can cause a no reverse.
The reverse servo housing is in the pan, held on with four bolts, with it off you can see the reverse band up in the case and you should be able to tell if it is broke.

Obviously if its broke its time to rebuild it.:roll:

You might be able to find a shop that would take a look at that first before they pull it out to rebuild it.

I would already agree on a rebuild price before the shop pulls it so they don't have to put it back together, this way everybody stays happy, or maybe just not pissed:D

Ford shows no codes. Pulled the pan off and found what looks like part of a band. Guessing its for the reverse band. Now to find a transmission. Thanks guys for the help.

Back